Megan Roberts’ body found in Ouse

Police confirm that a body found in the Ouse is that of missing York St John student

Police have confirmed the body found in the River Ouse on Sunday 2 March is that of missing York St John student Megan Roberts.

The body was discovered upstream from the Shipp Inn at Acaster Malbis at about 3.25pm on Sunday afternoon after a member of the public called the local police.

It is understood the body was found washed up in a muddy area near the river banks, five miles downstream from where Roberts was last seen. Superintendent Phil Cain, Safer Neighbourhood Commander for York, said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Megan’s family at this extremely difficult and very sad time.

“Her family are receiving support from specially trained officers as they come to terms with what has happened.”

Megan Roberts, 20, was reported missing on the 23rd of January and police issued a missing persons report on the 27th after her mother reported her missing. Roberts disappeared after a night out in Popworld with her friends and was last seen at around 2am near Lendal Bridge.

Police determined that Megan had probably fallen into the river due to intoxication, with Cain saying “on balance…a group of young friends on a night out that is likely to have ended in tragedy.” He also stressed that there is no cause to suspect foul play.

On Tuesday, the police search began to focus on river debris due to the lower water levels of the River Ouse.