Halifax lose deciding match

In a brilliant clash in which both teams exhibited high-quality netball, it was Van Mildert that edged past a fantastic Halifax team in the firsts netball during College Varsity

HALIFAX 28-38 VAN MILDERT
College Varsity 2014

Images: Petroc Taylor

In a brilliant clash in which both teams exhibited high-quality netball, it was the Durham side that edged past a fantastic Halifax team.
Early movement in the game was all towards Durham’s goal, although the first points were held at bay by a strong Halifax defence. But finally, after sustained pressure, first blood went to the visitors.

Halifax were quick to equalise, but Van Mildert soon asserted their dominance over them by rapidly taking the score to 5-1. A lovely ball from Verroken-Jones allowed Gabbitas to bring things to 7-3, but did little to slow Van Mildert’s progression and the score was 12-4 at quarter time.
The next quarter was a different game, seeing Halifax come out with all cylinders firing. Cool conversions by Woodings saw the score change to 17-8.

Astounding shooting from Gabbitas pulled York up to 19-14, in a much more even quarter. Van Mildert responded ruthlessly in the second half, soon reaching 29-18, with constant attacking movement and flawless shooting.

Halifax were still playing fabulously, but couldn’t quite keep up with this level of netball, and entered the final quarter down 21-31.
A fantastic transition engineered by Figgis and Gabbitas saw York get the first blood of the final fifteen minutes, but this style of play came too little, too late.

At 34-24, it was looking increasingly unlikely that a comeback would materialise. York snatched four goals in quick succession in an intense final five minutes, but this was not enough, and tje final whistle went at 37-27.

Tired but beaming Halifax captain Moody said: “We were so pumped coming into Varsity, so are obviously disappointed, but really enjoyed the game, and everyone played really well, and in a great atmosphere. Well done to all the girls.”