UYBC set for first race of 2014

Image: UYBC

Image: UYBC

This weekend the University of York’s Boat Club will finally take to the waters and compete for the first time in 2014. Due to flooding on the River Ouse races like the Peterborough Head, BUCS Head and South Yorkshire Head have been cancelled.

The lack of water time has meant club training has been restricted to the gym until this week.

This weekend UYBC travels down to Nottingham to compete in the Head of the Trent race. There are crews entered from all four of the squads.

The Novice Men’s squad has entered two eight crews. The first crew will be coxed by Maddi Belsey-Day and includes Tom Hillier, Mark Woosey, Will Oakes, Jack Turner, Nick Brightman, James Pitts, Will Fuller and Michael Ruzikowski. The other crew will be coxed by Eric Emond and includes Charlie Stuart, Ben Armstead, Magnus Mulvany, Tom Noble, Dan Thomas, Joe Ridge, Ali Hellard and Tom Siday. Novice Captain Tom Calvert has high hopes for the squad, hoping to grab the hotly contested Yorkshire gold.

The Senior Men’s Squad is entering one eight which will be coxed by Natalie Smith and includes David Lynas, Oliver Degerstedt, Patrick Somerville-Large, Stuart Hosie, Edward Van Der Straaten, Lloyd Hughes, Frank Flight and Robert Mills. The Senior men are entering the intermediate level 1, one of the highest levels of racing, so will be competing against 4 crews, including local rivals York city.

The Novice Women’s squad has entered two eights as well. The first eight will be coxed by Verity Jordan and includes Ida Sioberg, Silvia Rampton, Faye Bailie, Sophia Carr, Yasmin Denney, Andrea Banados, Lisa Worthington and Hannah Robinson. The second eight, which will be coxed by Serena Ward, includes Abigail Cornthwaite, Victoria Rabin, Emily Gosden-Kaye, Catriona Sharples, Katie McCourt, Louise Buckingham, Hagar Guela and Holly Walmsly.

The Senior Women’s squad will be entering two eights. The first eight will be coxed by Maddi Belsey- Day and includes Ashleigh James, Jennie England, Fran Howes, Steph Clutterbuck, Jessica Munro, Hannah Lyons, Natasha Linyard-Tough and Pippa Pennycook. The second eight is going to be coxed by Verity Jordan and includes Isabelle Coleman, Katie Peeke-Vout, Katrina Beveridge, Charlotte Price, Holly Dryden-Jones, Charlotte Waghorne and Octavia Hackett-Watson. These crews are racing in the intermediate level 3 which is the most competitive of the categories with 24 crews competing.

Last year UYBC won the Women’s Intermediate Level 2 Coxed Fours race and the Women’s Novice Coxed Four at the Head of the Trent. This year UYBC hope to do even better with high expectations from all four captains. However due to lack of training on the water the club will have its work cut out for what could be a challenging weekend.