York Futsal annihilate Lincoln to make Quarter Finals

UYFC earned a deserved 9-3 win over Lincoln on Sunday, booking their place in the quarter-finals amidst an electric atmosphere inside the Tent

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 9-3 UNIVERSITY OF LINCOLN
BUCS Futsal Championship Round of 16

Images: Petric Taylor

The University of York Men’s Futsal Club put in a brilliant team performance to overcome Lincoln on Sunday evening. The Black & Gold booked their place in the quarter-finals of the BUCS Futsal Championship Trophy thanks to a convincing 9-3 victory in the Tent.

A large crowd of around 40 supporters had gathered on the touchline to cheer on York for a crucial match, and it started brightly as Shin Murata connected well with Alli Arnason to give him the first attempt on goal of the game. York manager Junior Roberti was lively on the touchline, and captain, Alex Tringham curled a dangerous shot towards the keeper which went into the side netting, before tracking back to make an excellent block.

Lincoln took the lead against the run of play just a few minutes in. Their forward took up the ball in the middle and did well to skirt has way past the York defence, unleashing a shot that left Jonny Sim with no chance.

However, York responded immediately in style. A great ball from Tringham set up Arnason to smash the ball home and level the scores at 1-1. James Briars then went close to putting the home side in front straight after, as York began to take control.

Tringham worked hard to get into space before his shot went just wide, then Briars forced a corner out of the away side. York’s attractive passing was supplemented by the presence of a vuvuzela in the crowd which reverberated around the Tent, creating a fantastic atmosphere.

Connor McCoy almost got his name on the score sheet as a well-taken free kick bounced off the post, and Tringham’s shot on the rebound was brilliantly saved by the away keeper. McCoy’s effort from the second rebound then cleared the bar. At the other end, Sim was called into action and pulled off the first of a string of world-class saves during the game.

York soon took the lead in comical fashion, as an inch-perfect cross from McCoy was turned in by a Lincoln defender with a brilliant, but unintentional, tap-in. This livened up the crowd, who began to put the Lincoln players under pressure; this made a difference as a series of Lincoln balls went awry. The away side equalised in dubious circumstances moments later, but they weren’t on level terms for long; Tringham popped up again on the left-hand side, and slid the ball beautifully through a defender and underneath the keeper to make it 3-2.

Lincoln then forced a fine fingertip save from Sim, before a timeout was called. After the restart, Sim was as solid as ever with two further fantastic saves, and as Lincoln began to enjoy slightly more of the ball, McCoy was harshly booked by the referee. With the game slightly more open, York tried the route one technique and it nearly paid off, as a kick from Sim found Tringham’s head, and went narrowly wide of the far post just before half time.

In the second half, York really began to turn the screw and dampened any threat from Lincoln. Mark Howorth’s effort went wide, before Tringham was there again to slot home and make it four. McCoy then made it five just seconds later, before Tringham netted immediately after that to make it 6-2 to York.

The Black & Gold were now well in the ascendancy and it was in danger of becoming a cricket score. Ralph Gill had worked tirelessly throughout the game and added his name to the score sheet with a peach of a goal soon after, before Tringham grabbed York’s eighth after being set up perfectly by McCoy.

When Lincoln were eventually able to launch an attack and pulled a goal back past Sim, the scoring player attempted to goad the crowd and was met with a chorus of boos and colourful chants, which cranked up an already electric atmosphere.

In the final stages of the game, York were pressing high, and tempers flared up between the two sets of players. However, the home side remained composed and Guy Bowden rounded off the game neatly with one final goal to make it 9-3 at full time.

After the match, delighted York captain Alex Tringham told Nouse: “The second half was fantastic. First half, they were a physical team and scored some decent goals on the counter. But we just cleaned it up, were a bit more solid and made sure we didn’t lose the ball. We took our chances and we were easily the better team.

“The support was great. It started last year with our fantastic season. We wanted to use it because we know what a weapon can be; it’s a shame that we’re away in the next game because if we were at home, they’d be the sixth man!”

York squad: Sim (GK), Gill, Bowden, Howorth, Tringham (C), Murata, Briars, Arnason, Salgueiro, Konishi, McCoy, Bew

Man of the Match: Alex Tringham