Review: Fusion on Film

reviews Fusion’s annual offering of dance, fashion and music

image courtesy of Fusion

image courtesy of Fusion

Review: Fusion on Film
Venue: Central Hall
Showing until: February 23rd
Rating: 4 stars

This year’s Fusion offering ‘Fusion on Film’ provides its audience with a window into the history of film through the ages in a rich blend of music, dance and modelling. Undertaking the daunting task of displaying film from the silent movie to the modern day box office hit, Fusion has created a highly entertaining production which deserves the resounding applause it receives from its audience.

The theme allows for the effortless blending of music, modelling and various styles of dance and head choreographers Tara Cherry and Daisy Cutler and their team have clearly worked hard to produce a sequence of dances and modelling performances each of which tells a clear story from film, from the highly recognisable to the less well-known.

The opening ‘Silent Cinema’ scene, quiet enough to hear a pin drop, builds up the anticipation of what is to become an emotional and entertaining reel of scenes. Well-known for the huge scale of production and inclusion this year’s Fusion is no different with the new involvement of both Fashion Soc and Art Soc in the ‘Monroe’ scene and a number of new designers as well as more the more traditional involvement of Dance Soc and the highly talented VOX Choir.

The first two acts, the ‘Gone With the Wind’ and ‘Film Noir’ scenes, deserve particular mention. Here dancers Katherine Donnelly, Tom Jones, Tara Cherry, Daisy Cutler and Katie Vaughan display chemistry and professionalism in their dancing that is highly impressive for a student production.

While the occasional out of sync dancing, although not unsurprising in a production so big, meant that the first two acts were unable to flow quite so smoothly on opening night, the impressive range of styles and clear enjoyment of performers ensure that the few small hiccups natural in such a performance do not detract from the overall production.

In the scenes following the interval one would be hard pressed to find much to fault with the energy, enthusiasm and vibrancy displayed by dancers and models alike. All sequences are highly impressive and captivate the audience with their use of well-known music, characters and styles to accompany the enthusiastic dancers and models.

The timing and precision of the Psycho aspect of the ‘Hitchcock’ sequence showcases a different style of dance, an achievement echoed in the later ‘Scorcese’ scene where the dancers can be seen to embrace the gangster ideology portrayed. Equally impressive are the ‘Bollywood’ scene with its high energy and vibrancy and the ‘Rom-Com’ scene which is sure to tug on even the hardest of heart strings. Throughout the production dancers and models transport themselves into the scenes and deliver them in an emotional and accurate manner.

Yet again Fusion has produced an entertaining and enjoyable production blending music, modelling and dance into a well-thought out and enthusiastic performance which is well worth the watch.