Apply Now (Experience necessary)

Right now a primary concern is the crucial day when we have left university and need to look for jobs. The idea of stereotypes towards young people is a very fearful thought, one article argues that there is truth to this statement. More than two thirds of 14-17 year old feel that their job prospects are affected by negative stereotypes. However, it appears that this is too naive as there will evidently be other reasons why they may face difficulties getting jobs. In this job market, can these young people really compete against those who have far more qualifications?

Admittedly, it is difficult to get on the job ladder for younger people due to the current difficulties with the job market. However, this is not because of stereotypes towards young people, instead this is simply that they are more qualified. These people have more experience working as part of a team and will be more familiar with the world of work. Whilst, this may appear unfair it has to be contested that this is simply the world of business and it would be too much of a risk to hire someone who is not as experienced. It becomes important therefore, to make oneself stand out from the crowd: particularly due to the amount of qualifications that people can now obtain, often making a university degree not enough. Once again, this cannot be deemed to be stereotypes towards young people. Instead, the emphasis should be on the individual to make sure that we do things that give us more than qualifications and highlight things such as teamwork skills. In fact, there are lots of qualified people who are still unemployed, it makes it difficult to argue that there is a stereotype.

The concept of stereotypes in the media affecting one’s chance of a job is also very weak. Yes, the media can represent youths as ‘yobs’ yet this has no need to be apparent in an interview. Perhaps, emphasis of formality needs to be stressed which is obviously important in the workplace as it is how the company is represented. In an interview, the choice can be made as to how the other person sees you. Therefore, the idea of stereotypes of youths does not have much weighting if you choose to present yourself in a professional light. The article also references the way in which these children feel judged in the street, but sometimes this attitude people have is not surprising. The media will sensationalise stories and people will seek to protect themselves from what they see as a threat. Obviously, this cannot be deemed as acceptable of the media to do, but we cannot blame those who are fearful and seek to protect themselves. It is sad, but people will listen to the negative more than the positive in the media as they will be afraid.

Instead, more emphasis should be placed upon the government setting up schemes which allow more young people opportunities to get on the job ladder. A lot of jobs rely on gaining work experience in that field, yet, if you are not qualified enough for that then how are you ever going to start? It becomes clear that it needs to change from a ‘what you know’ instead of ‘who you know’ world when it comes to the job market.