Student found dead on campus named as Alex Yam

The nineteen year old was found dead in University accommodation last Wednesday

The 19-year-old student who was found dead on campus last week has been named as Alex Yam, a second year Psychology student from Hong Kong.

He was found in student accommodation and was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics at 9.15pm on Wednesday 12 February 2014.

The incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Alex’s supervisor Dr Lisa Henderson commented on the news, saying: “This is terribly sad news. As one of my supervisees, Alex was a warm and friendly young man who was a pleasure to talk to. He will be greatly missed by his peers and staff in the Department.”

Head of Psychology, Professor Quentin Summerfield, added: “The Department of Psychology is greatly saddened by this news. Alex Yam was a quiet and thoughtful student who was devoted to Psychology and who produced very good work. Like all of our students from Hong Kong, he enriched the Department and we valued him greatly.”

If you have been affected by this news, contact the Open Door Team on 01904 432140, [email protected], or by visiting their website, or visiting them at the Sally Baldwin Building, Block B (9am–5pm, Monday to Friday).

The Samaritans can be contacted on 08457 90 90 90 and [email protected], and Nightline are available every night from 8pm – 8am on 01904 323735, by emailing [email protected] or by visiting their flat in Eric Milner D block.