Darts club finish runners-up in National Finals

Image: University of York Darts Club

Image: University of York Darts Club

York University’s Men’s Darts Team narrowly lost out 7-4 to Oxford University in Sunday’s University Darts UK National Final, hosted at Lancaster University.

Having qualified for the finals weekend by topping their regional group, York first had to overcome a strong Newcastle side in the semi-finals. After quickly falling behind, York rallied to bring the score to 6-5 (best of 13). Captain Harry Smith completed the job with a gutsy performance, as York scraped through to the final 7-6.

Dylan Chambers embraces captain Harry Smith. Image: University of York Darts Club

Despite some outstanding performances from Derwenters Fred Evans and Tomas Kryžius (the latter finishing 76 with a double-top, double-18 combo), Oxford maintained a steady lead, and were able to clinch victory in the 11th game.

Harry Smith, York captain, said: “Whilst we’re obviously disappointed at losing the final, claiming second place is a huge achievement. I’m incredibly proud of our team, and I think this trophy is a testament to the work that so many of us have put in to raise the profile of darts at York.

“Our next aim is to get darts taken as seriously as every other College Sport, and to provide many more opportunities for York students to play the game we all love so much.”

Image: University of York Darts Club

Image: University of York Darts Club

The full York squad for Sunday’s finals weekend was:

Harry Smith (C) (Alcuin)
Fred Evans (Derwent)
Harley Wilkes (Halifax)
Lee McManus (James)
Connor Halliday (James)
Dylan Chambers (Alcuin)
Anthony Kelly (Langwith)
Tomas Kryžius (Derwent)
Sam Heald (Halifax)
Chris West (alumnus)
Nick Hall (alumnus)