Possible locations for future Assassin’s Creed titles

discusses some possible scenarios where the future Assassin’s Creed titles could take place

Photo credit: Dave Mathis

Photo credit: Dave Mathis

Michael Hampden, Senior Game Designer on Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, said “history is our playground”. Having applied this to their unique intellectual property in 2007, Assassin’s Creed, they have produced an illustrious series which manipulates history as part of its remarkable narrative.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise has certainly progressed since its early instalments – in the process, becoming one of my favourite series in gaming. With the next instalment for Ubisoft’s franchise expected to arrive in late 2014, speculation is growing as to where the title will be set. Feudal Japan and Egypt are some of the suggestions which people are excited to see. However, I have selected the three locations which would be able to create the best setting for a future instalment in the Assassin’s Creed series.

France would certainly make the perfect setting for an Assassin’s Creed title. The French Revolution would be an obvious historical event to centre on, but my preferred scenario would be in France under Nazi occupation. The progression of the Assassin’s Creed franchise has allowed for titles to expand in terms of geographical exploration and time period it covers, meaning that we would be able to watch our French Assassin journey through iconic locations such as Vichy and Paris during the events of the Second World War.

Additionally, the opportunity to climb the Eiffel Tower as a View Point and also perform a Leap of Faith off some of the iconic landmarks in France would be stunning to witness on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Leonardo da Vinci worked with Ezio Auditore in Assassin’s Creed II, so maybe he left a message for Brotherhood in the Louvre, in one of his most iconic paintings, the Mona Lisa. Furthermore, this could be the reason as to why she is smiling, with da Vinci leaving something for the Creed which the Templars failed to recognise.

Adolf Hitler is shown in Assassin’s Creed II possessing the Apple of Eden when he controlled the Third Reich; this could be used to create a narrative which had him as a puppet of the Templars’ control or one who became more extreme in his pursuit for power. Eventually our French Assassin’s final mission would have him arrive in Berlin to silence the Führer.

The Assassin’s Creed franchise is so versatile with its use of history it can change a plot to whichever way suits the narrative. It is no wonder that Hampden said they take fans suggestions into consideration and even the possibility of a title set in Australia could not be ruled out. France, with its rich history, would certainly make an interesting plot for a new title in the series.

Photo credit: Joshua Livingston

Photo credit: Joshua Livingston

In the franchise, we have travelled to locations such as America, Italy, Constantinople and Jerusalem; so maybe it is time for a future instalment to be set in London. The Assassin’s Creed mechanics would feel right at home in London during the Victorian era, especially with the amount of buildings which an assassin would be able to climb. London during this period may not be as visually stunning compared to Renaissance Italy, but it is certainly a title which needs to be taken into consideration for a future entry in the series.

The narratives focus could be on a young individual from a poor background who is eventually drafted into the Creed. The ruling aristocracy represents the Templars with their ambition to keep control and command over the people.

One of my issues with Assassin’s Creed III was that Haytham Kenway is a fascinating and interesting character but the developers should have kept him as the main protagonist in the title. The plot twist of him being revealed as a Templar would have been mind-blowing as a conclusion to the game.

That is what Assassin’s Creed III should have done, and with a title set in London the story would be more than capable of being told from an Assassin or Templar’s point of view. With the history rather interesting during this period, the developers could even bring the notorious Jack the Ripper into the title too.

Photo credit: Aaron Escobar

Photo credit: Aaron Escobar

Arguably one of the most significant political moments during the twentieth century, the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia could easily be a dream scenario for developers to use for the Assassin’s Creed series.

With figures such as Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky, who would not want to see a title centred during this revolutionary event? One of my favourite features of the Assassin’s Creed series is the use of iconic figures: from Niccolò Machiavelli to George Washington, it is always interesting to see how the developers use these figures in the narrative; better yet, the concept for the Assassin’s Creed III DLC, The Tyranny of King Washington, was one which made me love how much they can change history.

Communism could easily be a front for the Brotherhood with its objective of liberating people from the ruling classes. Karl Marx, the father of communism, could easily have been a Mentor for the Assassins – do not deny it; you would want to see him in a flashback leaping off a building with a hidden blade.

Regardless, if the Bolshevik Revolution is not an event they use, I would still want the series to eventually reach Russia or the Soviet Union as a location – so long as the featured protagonist has more charisma and interest than Niko Bellic.

History can easily be written in a way which can favour the Assassin’s Creed franchise. The British Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, once said “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it”. Churchill was correct in this universe, but that does not mean the developers feel the same way in the Assassin’s Creed world. With the choices wide-open for Ubisoft, their next destination for the series could be one which catches everyone by surprise.

1. Why would the assassins be on the side of Communist? The main goal of communism is to control people by force. That is also the goal of the Templars. But Russia is a good idea.

• 17 Feb ’14 at 1:29 am

Communism sucks

Exactly. They are probably into the idea of communism. “The equality” and other bullshit.

• Absolutely WRONG!!! The communism ideas in the first place were all towards better prosperity and quality of life (refer to “The Marx and Engels Manifesto”) Leaders like Lenin altered the Marx & Engels ideas and made the communism doctrine to oppose to the capitalism! Obviously you don’t know shit about political history so keep your stupid comments inside your little minded brain..

• Why the fuck you doing that shit. Screw Marx I don’t really give a shit you stupid ass bitch? I didn’t insult anyone in past comments but you are right, I really don’t know much about political history but I do know is when Marx wrote his book was possibly before WWI before the Russian revolution. Lenin was a soldier on the front lines they were running low on supplies and so him and a few of his allies decided to do a little rebellion that was crushed. After that your friend and fellow scum bag Lenin was exiled to Germany were German officials promised to help Lenin take over Russia and so began the Russian revolution but by the time the revolution was over WWI was over and Germany was defeated at first Lenin put his new Russia in a full war communism state but like the government before it was failing so Lenin decided to kick it back a notch and made it where the people controlled the courts and had the right to vote but the government controlled the banks and it stayed this way until Stalin took over. Now go fuck yourself you stupid ass faggot. Oh and anyone else wants to be an ass keep it to yourself.

• Also, ALC you’re the one being hostile about improperly defining Communism. At the end of your long winded and incorrect (if I may add) post you say to keep to yourself, when you’ve clearly not kept to yourself in terms of the absolute crap that you’ve posted…lol
          The person that replied to your original post was merely pointing out that you’re are completely incorrect.

• This is one of the few articles that mentions Russia as a location. There is a picture on the AC initiates website which has Nikolai Olelov a Russian assassin standing with all the assassin’s from previous games. Is this a really obvious clue or what?

• This idiot thinks Communism=controlling people by force….lol
      Pro tip: try googling stuff if you don’t understand
      For the record I’m not in favour of communist regimes.

2. 17 Feb ’14 at 11:36 pm

Deng Xiaopeng

do not speak ill of Communism

Worlds great country learn from mistake of capitalist past and spread word to red letter to 1.4 billion.

Assassins Creed though western market game for masses should teach west about china, learn that the Red Army turned tide of great war, defeat Japan, slow advance of evil Stalin.

Assassins Creed: Mao is what I think of. Art of leader, good and strong.

3. Australia would make for a great setting