Game of Thrones season four: what to expect

Season four of HBO’s Game of Thrones looks set to bring the best episodes to date

joff1

The Starks are always keen to remind us how Winter is Coming. But now spring is coming and with it there comes the eagerly anticipated fourth season of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire TV adaption; Game of Thrones. A yearly wait between each series feels like a decade for those who count down the days to return to the fictional world of Westeros, but HBO seem to have realised the need for more Game of Thrones footage and have released a fourteen minute trailer for the show. Arguably, fourteen minutes is not nearly long enough, but there are some interesting points to be picked from the trailer.

The dragons are growing up
daenerys-targaryen-and-dragon-season-3 Joffrey Baratheon spoke words of wisdom for the first time in season three when he worried about Daenerys and her dragons; airing his concern to his grandfather Tywin Lannister. The Mother of Dragons may have a fight on her hands as she finds she is no longer in favour with the slaves she freed as they revolt against her. Regardless of that problem, she now has an issue with her dragons as they finally grow and Daenerys struggles to tame them. So will the dragons run amuck now that they are outgrowing their Mother? Nothing is one hundred per cent certain, but you can guess that the dragons will play a big role within the programme from now on.

The Purple Wedding

King’s Landing is the capital of Westeros and is known for its exquisite luxuries and this season promises to be no different with the royal wedding taking place. After the heartbreak of the Red Wedding, everyone is hoping that the royal wedding will be different in comparison and no more likeable characters will be killed off. The royal wedding is known as The Purple Wedding, and those who have read the books will know what is coming. But for show watchers, not much is known of the Purple Wedding until season four finally comes to our screens.

Jon Snow

The last time we saw Jon Snow was when he was fleeing from Ygritte as she riddled him with arrows for deserting her and the Wildlings to return to the Night’s Watch. Jon is clearly tormented by his loyalties, claiming that he has a loyalty to the Night’s Watch and the vows he took, but he also believes he has loyalties to Ygritte too. Hopefully there will be more of Ygritte questioning what Jon Snow knows in the future whilst the Wildlings continue their march on the Wall.

Tyrion’s Crime
Cersei-and-Tyrion
For those who have read the books, the knowledge of Tyrion being arrested for a heinous crime is not one which
should come as a shock. We’ve seen Tyrion being falsely accused for crimes once before, notably at the Eyrie where he was accused of murdering Jon Arryn. He was lucky that time as he was saved by sellsword Bronn. The new Game of Thrones trailer shows little hope for Tyrion’s escape as his sister Cersei callously scolds her twin Jaime for always taking favour with Tyrion. So, can Tyrion fight his way from imprisonment? Will Jaime come to his rescue and go against the Queen Regent? Peter Dinklage has certainly become one of the main faces of the franchise, portraying Tyrion with wit and charm, so it’s not a shock that many fans will for him to keep safe and, more importantly, alive.

Enter the Martells

Known as ‘The Red Viper of Dorne’ within the Game of Thrones world, season four introduces us to Prince Oberyn Martell who rolls into King’s Landing to attend the marriage of King Joffrey and Margaery Tyrell. Newcomer Pedro Pascal describes his character as ‘deeply passionate’ and ‘dangerous’ yet ‘good’. Yet again, he is another man who despises the Lannister family for their involvement in his sister’s murder. With Oberyn promising that Lannisters aren’t the only ones who pay their debts, this new character could cause a stir to King’s Landing if he sticks to his promise.

Other notable characters to worry for

• The last time we saw Theon Greyjoy was in Ramsay Bolton’s dungeon, losing his ‘favourite toy’. With Asha Greyjoy promising to bring her baby brother home there will hopefully be more of Asha on her mission to return Theon to the Iron Islands.
• Arya Stark and the Hound were last seen on their way to a town called the Saltpans. Arya and the Hound are always enjoyable to watch, both of them insulting each other whilst the Hound kills anyone who threatens to get in their way. Hopefully both of them can continue on their quest, but what is it that the Saltpans holds for them? And will Arya ever see Gendry again now that he is free from Dragonstone?
rains-of-castamere-arya-the-hound

• Bran and Rickon Stark were separated from each other, with Osha taking the youngest Stark to safety and Bran continuing on his quest North with the Reed siblings and Hodor. Season three ended with Bran passing beyond the Wall and season four looks set to continue following them on their quest closer to White Walkers and Wildlings.
• Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister developed an atypical bond in season three as they travelled to King’s Landing together, suffering pain and misery in each other’s company. Hopefully season four will show us what Brienne shall do in King’s Landing, and whether she will be safe considering she is still accused of murdering Renly Baratheon.
• Stannis Baratheon ended season three with the Red Woman Melisandre claiming that the battle of the Kings was unimportant and that the true war lied North of the Wall. Ser Davos remained a silent observer, but Stannis made it known that he would be involved in this war. Will Stannis move North, or will he ignore the Red Woman and continue on his quest to take the Iron Throne?
• After the massacre of the Red Wedding what is in store for the Freys and Boltons now? Every Stark fan must be looking for some form of vengeance for what they did, but will it come, and if so how long must we wait?

Game of Thrones returns April 7th on Sky Atlantic

1. 12 Feb ’14 at 8:48 pm

Learn to read

I read the fucking books. I know what to expect. Don’t make me post spoilers…

2. TYRION DIES