YUSU propose NUS voting amendment

YUSU to propose a new voting system at the NUS National Conference in April

YUSU are submitting a ‘one member one vote’ motion to the National Union of Students’ national conference this April.

Currently a small number of delegates are elected to represent their universities at the conference.

If the new motion is passed it will mean that every student will have a chance for vote for the NUS president, and not just elected delegates.
In the last edition Nouse revealed that the percentage of students voting in YUSU elections fell by three per cent last year. It is hoped that an increased say in the NUS will also spur an increase in our own student union.

Credit: NUS

Credit: NUS

Although the motion will not have the chance to be passed until after this year’s YUSU elections it has the potential to make a difference to future campaign turnouts.

The motion is not a new one, having been put forward by University College London and Sheffield University several years ago.

However it is hoped that this time the motion will have more momentum, emulating the success of some of the most popular previous motions.

Sheffield University are likely to back the motion again, this time alongside York University Students’ Union.

For a motion to get into the final document it must be approved by the Steering Committee who are then obliged to notify the students’ unions of any changes. Approved motions are then debated at Conference. Any passed motions will be policy of NUS-USI for the next five years.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, said: “We’re hoping to submit a ‘one member one vote’ motion to NUS national conference this April.

“It’s not a new idea but with each passing year the case grows stronger for it. Despite it doing great things, to most students the NUS is little more than a discount card and the occasional demonstration.

“YUSU will be proposing this motion, with the backing of several other Students’ Unions, to create an NUS were every student in the country can vote for their national President.

“Many charities and campaigning groups have this system, and it could be a huge game changer for the NUS which will establish its long term credibility and relevance to its members.”

The deadline for motion submission is in a month’s time.