Slick Langwith coast through to Varsity

Langwith women’s footballers put in a very strong performance against James to secure their place at College Varsity

LANGWITH 7-4 JAMES
College Varsity qualifiers semi-final

Images: James Hostford

Langwith women’s footballers eased their way into Varsity after a comprehensive 7-4 victory over Derwent. On the backdrop of an electric atmosphere in the Tent, the Hes East side put in a stellar performance and started off brightly as captain, Ruby Callister tested Ellie Whittaker in the James goal.

Neither side was particularly dominating in the opening stages, but Langwith took the lead two minutes in after a fine effort from Adeline Roussel. Nevertheless, James immediately hit back after a skilful team move down the left wing led to an equaliser.

Langwith soon got into their stride and deservedly restored their lead shortly afterwards, as Callister excellently capitalised on a goalkeeping error to blast the ball home from distance. Langwith were working the channels well and retaining possession for long periods, which reaped rewards as Roussel grabbed her second and Langwith’s third goal of the game.

The nature of the match meant that it was end-to-end, and after a superb save in the Langwith area, Lorna Livingston picked up possession and incisively counter-attacked, but could only fire her shot straight at the keeper. As the game approached half time, James seized an opportunity to score their second after the ball was squared perfectly into the area. However, their excitement was short-lived, as Langwith responded with an instantaneous goal to hold a 4-3 lead at the break.

James were looking strong in attack but less accomplished in defence, and this pattern continued in the second half as Laura Robertson found the net within seconds of the restart to restore Langwith’s two-goal cushion.

At this stage, despite the best efforts of Anna Perkins and Lauren Larkin for the Heslington West side, Langwith were comfortably dictating the pattern of play, and five goals became six when a brilliantly-crafted team goal was completed by Roussel.

The match was then ended as any kind of contest when Callister fittingly rounded off a brilliant all-round team performance by scoring a seventh goal of the game for the Heslington East team. James ended the match with a flourish as they scored their fourth goal, but it proved to be only a consolation as Langwith eventually ran out as comfortable winners.

Speaking after the match; Langwith captain Ruby Callister told Nouse: “James are a really good team, so we weren’t sure how it would go. I’m really happy with how the girls played.”

Meanwhile, James’ Ellie Whittaker simply commented: “Langwith train every week, and it showed in how they played. They were very well organised.”

Langwith: Callister, Robertson, Livingston, Roussel, Matheson. Subs: Wim Roberts, Thompson.

James: Whittaker, Perkins, Allsopp, Pick, Cole. Subs: Jermy, Larkin.

Player of the match: Ruby Callister.