Physio service off to popular start

Cass Brown’s physio service on campus has become immediately popular, with bookings already completely taken until the end of week eight

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Cass Brown, York Sport President, has revealed that she is delighted after regular, subsidised physiotherapy sessions began to be offered on campus.

The service, which was one of Brown’s key campaign policies in 2013, is available to any York Sport Union club member.

Speaking to Nouse, Brown commented: “When I campaigned last February, getting a physiotherapist was my main policy and the one I was most passionate about.

“Having had an injury myself throughout my whole sporting career, I saw the importance of injury prevention. Something that I found whilst campaigning was that there are a lot of students sat on the bench injured every week when they could be playing and gaining points for the university, so I made it a priority.”

The move was made possible by YuFund, who provided a grant just short of £5,000 to ensure that the service has been secured up until the end of this academic year. Brown continued: “After a successful application to YuFund, we received just under £5,000 to subsidise a physiotherapist. This means that a service that would normally cost £35-£40 is costing students just £5 – which is a huge saving and makes the service a lot more accessible.”

The physiotherapist will be based in a room at James College, with appropriate equipment available for effective treatment, and since beginning at the start of week five, the service has been hugely popular.

“There are two sessions a week on Monday morning and Thursday.” Brown said. “The first week has gone fantastically well and appointments are all booked up until the end of week eight, so there’s obviously a demand there.”

Brown also has confidence in locally-based Hightorn Physiotherapy, who are providing the service, to offer a good standard of treatment to students. “We picked Highthorn because they’ve been around York for nearly 30 years. It’s won awards for its high quality.

“I’ve established a good relationship with the physios there over the last 12 months and I thought they’d be perfect for the job; I didn’t want to compromise on quality.”

With the physiotherapy service guaranteed until the end of this year, Brown has pledged to press for the University to ensure that it remains on offer in the long-term.

“I’m going to keep pushing the University to continue to fund a physio in the future.” Brown said. “It’s such a selling point to prospective students that there is a physio service on campus and it also fits in well with University welfare. Sport and welfare go hand in hand.”