Man of the Moment

has Sam Smith on her mind as she chats to the BBC Sound Poll winner

sam smith 2

The year has just started and it has already been a busy one for Sam Smith. After becoming the winner of the BBC Sound Poll 2014 and the Brit’s Critics’ Choice award which he will be presented with on the 19th February at the O2 arena; can we look forward to the same success as previous winners? With the release of his new single ‘Money on my Mind’ on the 16th February, his debut album In the Lonely Hour on the 26th May through Capital records and sell out tour dates, this year looks to be big.

Smith has already had an incredible 2013, after coming to our attention in 2012 as the vocalist on electro duo Disclosure’s single ‘Latch’. Smith states how “the guys have taught me so much” and that he is thankful that “they’ve also given me a year of practising my trade at some incredible gigs.” This has included Bestival and Reading and Leeds festival. He also got his first number one working with Naughty Boy on ‘La La La’, topping Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky’ off the top spot. After finding out on his 21st Birthday he states what a “magical moment” it was and how it felt “insane” to be at number one.

Smith’s response to winning the Brit’s Critic’s Choice Award and the BBC Sound Poll for 2014 was that it was “just unbelievable. It’s all about the music for me and to get the nod from the industry truly means the world.” The BBC Sound poll which is compiled by 170 DJs, critics and bloggers, who were asked to name their three favourite new acts, illustrates just how much a ‘nod’ Sam Smith has from the industry. Winning the Brit’s Critic’s Choice Award Sam Smith joins the prestigious list of former winners including Jessie J, Ellie Goulding and Adele. Looking at these names and their careers no wonder he was so delighted with the award!

sam smith 1

After starting singing at the age of eight, Smith states how he was trained by a jazz singer who “really triggered off my love for music”. His passion for music can be seen through his soulful and rich vocals as he sings every word with genuine emotion. This is seen through his emotive lyrics for which his inspiration comes “from my everyday life. Music is my number one love, but it’s also important for me to live. So I try and do things, then write about them.”

As a lover of soul music, Sam states how his musical inspirations range “from Whitney to Stevie”. This soulful vibe can be felt in Sam’s voice and it especially comes through in his EP ‘Nirvana’. He admits his “latest obsession is Ariana Grande.” Listening to “’Right There’ by Ariana Grande” he admits that he is “late to the party, but I think she’s is out of this world.”

When asked who he would most like to open for Smith simply states “Beyoncé. Because she is everything”. Could not agree with you more there Sam! Who knows? With the way 2014 has started for Sam we may see him up there on stage with Beyoncé in the future. For now though Smith would like to be sat in the dressing room at Jimmy Fallons in New York next year “ready to sing ‘Lay Me Down’.” With the musical brilliance he oozes I can definitely see this becoming reality.

It has now come to the point in his career where he must break through as a solo artist. For Smith this means a headline booking at the Shepherd’s Bush Empire which has already sold out and a new album. Coming from two collaborations, Smith states “this album is all me”. It will be interesting to see what Smith’s voice and style will be like left to his own devices without collaborations. With the backing of these awards and his debut EP creating a buzz for fans of the up and coming debut album, he looks to be following in the successful footsteps of those who won previous awards. I’m definitely going to be keeping an eye on his music this year, so should you!