Further changes to electoral boundaries affect Halifax students

Halifax College recommended to be in the same ward as rest of university

Credit: University of York

Credit: University of York

The Local Government Boundary Commission for England have rethought their plans to change the electoral boundaries in York.

After discovering an error in the information given to them them, the Commission decided to alter the planned changes to constituency boundaries made in November.

A spokesperson stated that an error in the data received by the Commission meant that voters in Halifax College would have remained in the Fulford and Heslington Ward which is not the same ward as the rest of the University is in.

Originally, the University of York was to be included in a three-member Hull Road ward. These changes were made to make “stronger community interests” with Hull Road, which was considered to be the city’s main student area.

The spokesperson said: “The new recommendations mean around 800 voters in the Halifax College area would be part of the Hull Road ward with the rest of the University campus. The amendment would deliver electoral equality for local voters so that each councillor in York represents a similar number of electors.”

The commission has now re-opened for a public consultation which is due to run until March 31st. If passed through Westminster the new constituency boundaries will be in place for the next electoral cycle in 2015.

A second year PPE student said, “I think it’s really important that Halifax is included with the rest of the University in the local e.lectoral boundaries. It’s important for the University to have a united student voice.”