Album Review: Bombay Bicycle Club – So Long, See You Tomorrow

investigates whether the indie band’s latest is up to scratch

bbc slsyt

Bombay Bicycle Club are back and are sticking to what they know. ‘So Long, See You Tomorrow’ is a return to the dance-rock anthems they’re known for, this time introducing an element of the electronic. Making controversial comments earlier in the year on the saturation of “bad Indie bands” that arose post-Arctic Monkeys debut, the band had a lot of hype to live up, doomed to the label of ‘pretentious idiots’, for want of another word, if expectations were left unfulfilled.

Luckily for them, this album is not a complete train wreck so they actually don’t look like idiots for saying it. The album itself is a very skillful example of the intertwinement of restraint and explosive energy. Each track moves through the paces and some point, except maybe for the exception of ‘Eyes Off You’, bursts into life in anthemic choruses that make you want to dance.

It seems right to discuss their singles off the album so far, ‘Carry Me’ and ‘Luna’, the latter of which is circulating around the radio like there’s no tomorrow. Both of them are infectious, the beat almost forces you to bop in time. But they are precise and, for a band that has rarely used electronic aspects in their music before, they’re surprisingly apt and it adds a fresh dimension to their sound.

I do have a few niggling matter with the album though. The combination of restraint and energy may make for some choruses bursting with life but at the same time, the pacing of the songs, and the entire album in turn, is stunted in places. As soon as you get into a chorus some songs will just cut off into the verses, leaving you slightly in the lurch- a perfect example being ‘It’s Alright Now’.

This album is definitely worth an exploration. Bombay Bicycle Club have not departed far from what their fans would want and if you’ve never listened to them, now is a good a time as any to start. ‘You burn through my mind again and again’ the chorus of ‘Luna’ goes, and if it’s anything to go by, this album will be burning for a good few weeks.