Game Review: The Simpsons: Tapped Out

Homer Simpson’s mission to rebuild Springfield is taptastic

The Simpsons Tapped Out

Rating: ★★★★☆
Platform: iOS, Android
Release date: 2012 (iOS) & 2013 (Android)
Developer: Electronic Arts Mobile

Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap – takes a break – tap, tap, tap, tap, tap; I have found myself doing this for an entire year on The Simpsons: Tapped Out and have no regrets in the slightest. You might be wondering why Nouse has decided to review this title long after its release: well, there is an update which is celebrating Valentine’s Day.

You may not have a partner for this glorious occasion (like me), which means that Springfield can easily become your home for the day. This title is extremely addictive, especially with the updates that Electronic Arts continues to support over the course of each year. You will easily find yourself becoming a slave to EA’s title and slowly tapping your way through each day.

Considering that most people have found Flappy Birds on the app store, The Simpsons: Tapped Out has spent enough time in the most downloaded titles section. The Simpsons: Tapped Out has a simple premise: Homer Simpson has blown up Springfield after the Nuclear Power Plant meltdown, leaving you to help him rebuild Springfield.

Simpsons Tapped Out

Player’s must complete the missions set which allows for more additional content to be unlocked. Even the dialogue retains the infamous Simpsons humour which everyone loves. Tasks for each character vary on the amount of time they require, which also includes the payout at the end. Once a characters’ objective is finished, Homer will immediately notify you with “better them than me” echoing from your phone or tablet. Once you have collected the money, set another task and repeat. It is so simple, but such an addictive title to play.

For a student, it is both your best friend and greatest enemy. It will allow you to do something aimlessly in spare time, but this will also lead to serious procrastination when work needs to be done. EA has a lot of the content locked, requiring real money to access additional characters, decorations and buildings. It is a dangerous game to begin playing, especially if you become obsessed and want more than the content which is free to unlock. You could easily find yourself in a position like Homer Simpson, buying donuts (the currency) to fill a stomach which is always hungry for more.

With all the warnings that I have mentioned, it is a title worth downloading. Spending money is down to your choice, and EA still offer a free and enjoyable experience in The Simpsons universe. Building your own Springfield lets you be more imaginative of how, and what it should be like. Strangely, the title does not look addictive, but once you start playing it, there will be something which compels you to come back to it every time. You will rinse and repeat tasks all in the effort to create your very own utopia.

1. 10 Feb ’14 at 10:53 pm

Luke Reynolds

Entertaining, interesting and informative – Great review, Ad!

2. 24 Feb ’14 at 3:29 pm

helena richmond

How do I get rid of the rubbish also I’ve changed internet providers and now I get into the game at all.

• 24 Feb ’14 at 9:21 pm

Homer Simpson

Use Homer or Lisa during the tasks menu to select ‘clean up Springfield’. Make sure you’re properly connected with the new internet provider and the app should work.