Album Review: Maximo Park – Too Much Information

examines the latest release from the band who wrote ‘Apply Some Pressure’, and finds it wanting

maximo

I don’t know about anyone else but whenever Maximo Park, I always seem to get thrown back into memories of a life full of teenage angst and desperate attempts to be “Indie”. Yes, I wasn’t a cool teenager. But back then, Maximo Park seemed to inject their music with an amazing amount of energy and vigour.

And now, the foreshadowing that has come from their past few quiet albums culminates in ‘Too Much Information’, a gloomy, moody piece that shines in but a few places.

The main proportion of its energy comes from two songs ‘My Bloody Mind’ and ‘Her Name Was Audre’ that arises from their effective pacing and quiet, stylized sound. They’re songs that can get your mind ticking, get a beat in your head and may actually carry some weight.

But that’s about it. This album is all strikingly repetitive and a common trait amongst all the songs is their promising beginnings that eventually peter out, leaving nothing but a feeling of disappointment. It was boring. Everything failed to effectively excite me in the least. I don’t know what it is. It is difficult to explain. Everything is technically superb, their skill is evident but they’re just seems to be some sort of invisible boundary that this album either fails, or barely exceeds at all.

Usually with an album with less energy and rhythm, looking for solace in the lyrics is always a safe comfort but with the like of ‘You never wanna leave your local library’ I just became plain disillusioned with the attempt.

When I eventually reached the end of this fairly bemusing and clunky album, ’Where We’re Going’ bidded me adieu and weirdly, I thought it was quite good. And maybe it was, or maybe I was so thankful that I didn’t have to listen this bland album anymore, that the prospect that it was ending subconsciously filled me with joy.

1. Personally, I wouldn’t pick out Her Name Was Audre as one of the highlights of the album, it’s not all about “energy”. As a whole, it showcases different variations on Maximo’s evolving style (I have to disagree with your “strikingly repetitive” description), with Brain Cells a fairly impressive first adventure into more synths and beats (with credit to Dave Okumu) and Leave This Island incorporating some trademark Paul Smith lyricisms (as do many other tracks on the album – Lydia, The Ink Will Never Dry and Drinking Martinis being other good examples, though the one line you picked out maybe not so) along with good structure and track progression.

There are obviously ups and downs throughout the album but as a whole I’d say it’s the best of their last few. It did excite, though as quite a big fan that would be expected, and I feel there are some tracks here that could be more generally appealing than their other recent efforts.

• If there’s anything this album is not, it’s repetitive… Agree with the above poster. Love Brain Cells, Drinking Martinis and Leave This Island -none of which sound anything like each other. Loving it.