York beaten by strong Sheffield Hallam side

York men’s hockey firsts remain second-bottom of the league after a disappointing defeat at the hands of Sheffield Hallam on the JLD

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 4-10 SHEFFIELD HALLAM UNIVERSITY SECONDS
BUCS NORTHERN 2B

Images: Petroc Taylor

The miserable weather above the JLD reflected a miserable day at the office for the hockey men’s firsts who despite winning last week, were unable to overcome Sheffield Hallam seconds who outclassed York for much of the game winning it 10-4 eventually.

It didn’t take long for Hallam to open up the scoring by scoring with a simple finish under York goalkeeper Callum Chaundy. Hallam capitalised on the early goal and put York under some immense pressure with Chaundy forced into two good saves, one from a short corner and another from open play to deny Hallam their second in quick succession.

Hallam’s second came from the left wing as a powerful hit into the D and some poor defending from York in failing to trap and clear the ball lead to a reverse stick finish at the back post to make it 2-0. York pulled one back though, Hugo Christie hit a sensational reverse stick past from outside of Hallam’s 22 which found Tiarnan Cotter at the back post who finished well to make it 2-1.

Hallam then grabbed a third as their left winger dribbled past two or three black shirts and finished with a nice powerful shot that sailed into the goal inside of the back post to take it to 3-1. Hallam then made it 4-1 as a ball from the left again caused confusion in the York D and amidst this confusion Hallam snuck in a close range finish at the back post to add another.

York had a good chance shortly after Hallam’s fourth as Toby Waddington sent a lovely aerial to Tom Armston-Clarke who sent a nice ball down the left to the by-line. The subsequent ball in from the by-line threatened but Hallam’s keeper pulled off a fine save. Hallam added a fifth as a nice through ball found their striker who opened up the angle by taking the ball to his left and he finished with a reverse stick hit.

Hallam’s sixth came from a ball fired in from the left which was deflected into the roof of the net, with the side from Sheffield keeping the ball in the run up to the goal very efficiently. At half time, the score line was 6-1 to Hallam and the game was over before the second half had even started.

It was York who opened the scoring in the second half, as Christie executed a fantastic dribble down the right hand side of the pitch and scored with a very tidy finish to make it 6-2. After one of Hallam’s players picked up a green card, the Sheffield side bagged a seventh goal with a typically powerful finish past Chaundy. Christie then went on to pick up a green card himself and just moments later Hallam scored an eighth with a powerful lofted finish into the top right hand corner of the net.

Hallam made it 9-2 with another deflection into the goal from the back post after yet another ball from the left wing. York’s Matt Guy then made a couple of storming runs down the left in a bid to try and bag a goal for the Black and Gold. His first run saw him beat four or five Hallam players before failing to make contact with the ball with his shot. His second run was equally as impressive but was stopped by some courageous defending from a Sheffield player.

York had their chances though, a nice hit in from the left ending up with Armston-Clarke at the back post who couldn’t quite get his shot away. However, York made the score line 9-3 after a phenomenal ball played diagonally across the pitch found its way to Christie who then put the ball into the D for Cotter to convert, it was York’s only real moment of champagne hockey.

Hallam however bagged themselves their tenth as an aerial from the left side of the pitch found the Hallam striker in the D, he turned back on himself and finish with a reverse stick hit into the top left corner of the goal. York got the final goal of the game as Christie, who was York’s man of the match, hit the ball in from the left, Phil Ratcliff’s subsequent shot was saved but York captain Phil Blackburn followed through with the rebound taking the final score to 10-4 to Sheffield Hallam.

Several of the York players were unhappy with their side’s performance, with one of the subs commenting on the side line just after half time that the situation in the match ‘wasn’t ideal’. All in all, it was a disappointing day for the black and gold who were always against the odds against a strong Sheffield Hallam side.

York: Chaundy, Johnson, Waddington, Bond, Butler, Blackburn (C), Cotter, Isaacs, Christie, Aldridge, Ratcliff, Armston-Clark, Farmery, Guy

Man of the Match: Hugo Christie