Women’s football side hold Durham to draw

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 0 – 0 DURHAM UNIVERSITY SECONDS
BUCS Northern 2B

Images: Petroc Taylor | View on Flickr

York played strongly to prevent a tough Durham side from scoring and held them to a 0-0 draw in an impressive performance on a blustery 22 Acres on Wednesday.

The home side opened the game and immediately began to pile the pressure upon Durham, a team who last term beat them 4-0. Although possession swapped hands early on, it was York who had the first attempt on goal when Sophie Jermy’s shot was caught by the Durham ‘keeper.

York appeared to have the attacking advantage, taking a number of shots. Unfortunately the team was unable to capitalise on these chances as the majority went wide.

Following a short break due to a Durham injury, play resumed and York mounted yet another regrettably unsuccessful attack. Nevertheless, despite the lack of goals, York impressed both in attack and defence, creating many more chances and allowing Durham only a few shots at goal.

With no side managing a successful shot at goal, the first half ended a respectable 0-0.

The second half continued much as the first had. Durham came out strongly and immediately placed pressure on York but the strong defence refused to allow them the opportunity to score and gave the York side the attacking advantage. However, as in the first half, the York side was unable to score and Durham continued to counter-attack strongly.

As the game began to wind down there was some confusion on the side-lines as York were awarded what appeared to be a free kick from the goal line. Again, however, the home team was unable to take advantage of this opportunity and Durham were able to clear the ball away. Yet, York were not deterred and continued their attack on the Durham defence until the end of the game.

In the closing moments of the game, anticipation began to build on the side-lines as York looked like they might finally score that elusive goal. Unfortunately, Durham’s defence remained strong and the game ended 0-0.

Despite the score line, York fought hard in both attack and defence against a tough side and were able to take many positives from the match. Speaking after the game, captain Ellie Whittaker was upbeat when she said, “It was a very good game especially considering they beat us 4-0 last time we played. I’m very impressed with how the squad is developing all the time and I cannot fault the effort today.”

York: Brown, Baldwin, Decamp, Roy, Davies, Whittaker (C), Middlemiss, Chambers, Craig, Jermy, Cole, Larkin, Robertson, Fazio.

Player of the match: Annie Chambers