Tennis Dome work completed

The Dome will allow the tennis courts to be used in all-weather conditions after being fitted last week

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Work to fit a plastic dome over the top over the tennis courts at James Sports Centre has been completed, making the courts suitable for all-weather use throughout the year. Up until now, the courts have been exposed to the elements and made playing conditions difficult in the winter months, but the new facility means that they can be used even in inclement weather.

The dome will be in place until April this year, and it will then be removed for the warmer summer months before being erected again in the autumn. The new facility will be put to the test this weekend, when the Varsity netball Qualifiers take place to decide who will represent York against Durham next month.

The dome will hopefully also help to raise the profile of tennis at York, now that there is a greater ability to play the sport for most of the year. Sam Davies, University of York Tennis Club President, told Nouse: “It’s brilliant to have this facility. We have a lot more space now and will be able to play through the winter. We struggled a lot last year, especially with the snow; we were out for a couple of months.

“I think it’ll help to raise the profile of tennis. People will walk past the dome and want to know what’s going on inside, so we should get more people involved playing. We’ve got new sessions available and quite a lot of people involved already, but we still need more people. Now we can have these courts for longer and spread out training times, so it’s a good move for us.”

Meanwhile, the new facility also comes at a time when York Sport is on the crest of a wave, with the University currently in 36th in the BUCS overall points table. Cass Brown, York Sport President, commented: “The dome comes at a poignant time for York. As well as being a fantastic and much-needed addition to the York Sport landscape, we have just appointed a University Tennis coordinator to drive the sport’s performance and participation across campus.

“The dome will add to the success of this, being an attractive structure for amateurs and beginners alike. Most of all, I’m thrilled for the Tennis Club, who have been excited about this development for a long time and will reap the benefits most of all, no doubt.”