Successful away tournament for men’s water polo

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 2-9 NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF YORK 6-0 UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER (walkover)
UNIVERSITY OF YORK 14-3 LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

BUCS Northern 1A

Image: UYSWC

Image: UYSWC

The men’s water polo team have continued their recent BUCS success with a strong performance in Newcastle over the weekend. The York side proved they have settled comfortably into their higher BUCS league, Northern Division 1a, after gaining promotion last season.

The men’s team faced Newcastle in their first game of the day, with York fully expecting the match to be one of their most challenging in the league. York’s opponents used their home advantage to get a goal ahead within the first minute of play, as York struggled to settle into the game. Newcastle’s men were repeatedly successful in counter-attacking York’s offensive drives, lobbing York’s defence to find the back of the net another three times in as many minutes.

York successfully broke away from a failed Newcastle attack two minutes before half time, and it looked like Cocozza had opened the scoring for York before his goal was disallowed. The Newcastle side were unforgiving though, scoring a further two goals in quick succession, despite the best efforts of York’s new goalkeeper, Gawthorpe. It fell to York’s captain to inspire his team, with Cramer placing a shot past Newcastle’s keeper in the last fifteen seconds to make the score 6-1 at halftime.

After a few words from coach, Chris Burns, the York team settled into the game in the second eight minute quarter, and were much more effective in their defence of Newcastle’s counter-attacks. Although the second half was much more evenly matched, Newcastle still managed to break away and score a further three goals from breaks. York goalie, Gawthorpe, is definitely one to watch in Roses this year though, after his incredible performance denied Newcastle at least a further four goals, often one-on-one. The game ended with York’s second and final goal, with Cocozza producing a stunning shot to make up for his denied goal earlier.

York’s second match of the tournament was supposed to be against Manchester seconds, however they failed to attend and consequently forfeited their matches. The last game the two sides played in BUCS resulted in an easy 26-0 win for York, though, and a victory was expected in this match.

The last match for York was also to be their strongest performance of the tournament in a brilliant 14-3 win over Leeds Met. The massive improvement the men’s side have made through their commitment over the past few months is highlighted by the fact they drew 8-8 with the Leeds side just last term. UYSWC club president, Marshall, opened the scoring for York within the first 30 seconds of play, with the men’s attacking force quickly overwhelming that of Leeds. The positive effect of such an early goal was clear, with York’s pit-attacker Ramage quickly firing two more past Leeds’ somewhat subdued keeper. The York squad’s increasing lead and dominance in the game meant they were happy to use it as an opportunity to try out a new attacking formation, ultimately resulting in goals from both Wen and Edwards.

Although the York side went into the second half with a comfortable 5-0 lead, another quick goal from Ramage after the whistle showed they weren’t going to be complacent. A lapse in concentration resulted in Leeds gaining one goal back, but this was swiftly followed by four York goals in two minutes, two from Cramer, another from Ramage and a cracking first goal from Molnar. The score sat at 11-1 after Haywood found the net from 5 yards out, and despite Leeds clawing two goals back in quick succession, further goals from Cramer, Wen and Ramage clinched York’s victory.

After the tournament, York’s captain Gabriel Cramer stated that: “The tournament went much as we expected it to. We knew Newcastle would a tough game. We played some good polo against them, but they were the better team. We had the potential to beat Leeds Met the last time we played them, so it was a shame we drew. I knew the team could deliver and they did.

“I was proud of our performance, especially so since we haven’t had much time to get back into the swing of things after Christmas. I was a bit disappointed that Manchester didn’t turn up. We missed out on some serious goal scoring opportunities – it would have been a good opportunity to practice our trick shots.”

York Team: Gawthorpe, Haywood, Ramage, Cramer (C), Marshall, Wen Zhe Lim, Molnar, De Moor, Philpot, Ball, Edwards, Cocozza.
Man of the tournament: Young Gawthorpe.