Mass immigration from Romania and Bulgaria failed to materialise

A mere handful of Romanians and Bulgarians have taken up the offer of unrestricted access to the UK labour market

Photo credit: kenjonbro

Photo credit: kenjonbro

Bulgarians and Romanians gained the right to visa-free travel to the UK in 2007, when their countries joined the EU. But there were temporary restrictions on the kind of jobs they could take. Employers had to apply for work permits and migrants for an “accession worker card”. Low-skilled workers were restricted to existing quota schemes in the agricultural and food processing sectors.

These restrictions were dropped on 1 January, having been extended to the maximum period of seven years. Bulgarians and Romanians will be entitled to claim the same benefits and NHS care as other EU citizens.

The first Bulgarians and Romanians benefiting from unrestricted access to the UK labour market arrived on the 1st of January as politicians moved to appease fears that Britain could be flooded with migrants. Romanians landing at Luton Airport were greeted by Keith Vaz, chairman of the Home Affairs select committee, who said the number of arrivals provided just a “snapshot” of those expected to come to the UK in the coming months. The UK has not released forecasts of migrant numbers, but campaigners say up to 50,000 people a year could come.

However, half empty planes and coaches arrived in Britain on New Year’s Day as the much hyped Romanian invasion failed to materialise. It appears that a mere handful of Romanians and Bulgarians have taken up the offer of unrestricted access to the UK labour market on the first day of the EU scheme. The predicted tidal wave of immigrants flooding our ports, coach stations and airports turned out to be nothing more than a trickle. Some media reports have claimed droves of Romanians would be heading to Britain to claim benefits and free access to the NHS. But arrivals areas at Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airport, Luton Airport, Dover and Victoria Coach Station in London told a different story. Romanian car washer Spiresau Victor, one of the few to arrive at Luton Airport, in London, insisted: “I am not here to rob your country.”

Atul Hatwal, of the Migration Matters Trust, said: “It was hysteria and hyperbole made principally by UKIP and fear of UKIP. We were made to think hundreds of thousands of Romanians and Bulgarians would be at the gates at midnight and it is just not the case.”

Andreas Cser, who runs the TJobs website which helps Romanians work abroad, told the BBC that the number of his countrymen seeking work in Britain was actually falling, saying: “We haven’t actually observed an increased interest especially for the UK. In fact for UK jobs we have seen a decrease in applicants over the last six months”.

Earlier in January an extension of the NHS charging regime was revealed, which will see overseas visitors and migrants charged for accident and emergency treatment in England. Migrants will also have to pay for primary care services such as minor surgery carried out by GPs, while prescription charges will be extended. Predictions for the number of new immigrants vary – with Migration Watch still maintaining their intake estimate of 50,000 a year, while the government’s figures say 13,000 for 2014.

1. 31 Jan ’14 at 12:29 am

Quentin Robert DeNaineland

All this hype for nothing, from UKIP and all the “Daily Fail” style tabloids, serves 2 purposes at least, among many. Firstly it’s a good excuse to cut down on benefits for non-Romanians and Bulgarians i.e. everybody else, after which people can easily blame the Romanians and Bulgarians. Secondly, it serves as a masterful diversionary tactic, to distract public attention from the crooked politicians and the morally bankrupt banking system, both of whom are crippling the economy with their greed, and squeezing the middle classes out of existence. All this is done by basically scapegoating unprotected, very small, white, Christian minorities, the vast majority of whom work and pay taxes, and it’s all done without a whiff of political incorrectness, all precisely because the minorities are white and non-muslim. Luckily, people are seeing through the scam. Big respect to the Romanians – they are a fine people who don’t deserve to be tarnished by the lying Tory, Labour, UKIP and tabloid scum.