Goodricke crowned college swimming champions

Images: Alex Byron

Hes East came out on top on Sunday evening, as both colleges on the campus enjoyed unprecedented success during the College swimming tournament at York Sport Village. Goodricke eased their way to first place, whilst behind Derwent in second, Langwith fought off stiff opposition from Halifax and Vanbrugh to take third.

The tournament was organised into eleven different disciplines, with men and women both competing in each discipline. All colleges took part, although Wentworth were unable to field a women’s team. In the first event of the day, the top three sides were all close but it was Derwent that emerged victorious in the Women’s 4x 50 metre Medley Relay. They were closely followed by Goodricke in second, and Vanbrugh in third.

In the men’s version of the race, Goodricke and Derwent again finished strongly to take first and third place respectively. However, Vanbrugh tailed off to finish sixth, whilst Halifax got amongst the top of the standings for the first time by taking second. With the first discipline complete, the atmosphere was electric at the York Sport Village, as all colleges had good support from the gallery.

The first event was soon followed by the women’s 100 metres freestyle, which Goodricke dominated and won by some margin; they were followed by Langwith in second, whilst Vanbrugh took third. On the men’s side, the two Hes East sides again took the top two places, with Derwent sneaking into third place.

Subsequently, the colleges lined up to compete in the 25 metres butterfly event, and a pattern was soon beginning to emerge as Langwith and Goodricke came out on top in the women’s and men’s disciplines respectively. Halifax and Derwent also performed strongly here, making up the top places in both events.

After strong starts, both Hes East colleges sensed an opportunity to win the event, and aimed to build on their early dominance going into the 100 metres backstroke events. However, it was Hes West teams which performed best here, as James won the women’s event and Derwent’s men came out on top on their side of the race. However, in both cases, Goodricke managed to squeeze into second place to keep themselves at the top of the table.

In the shorter, snappier 25 metres breaststroke event, Vanbrugh’s women had their turn to taste victory as they comfortably outfought Goodricke and Derwent, whilst Halifax’s men then prevailed over close rivals Halifax. Goodricke finished strongly before the interval, as they took the spoils in both forms of the 50 metres butterfly.

These results meant that with approximately half of the races completed, Goodricke were clear leaders in the overall standings on 100 points, ahead of Derwent on 81 and Langwith on 79. Wentworth, on the other hand, were stranded at the foot of the table with just 17 points, being hindered by their lack of a women’s team.

After the break, Derwent began an assault on the top of the table by snatching victory in both forms of the 50 metres backstroke, especially capitalising as Goodricke could only finish third on one occasion.

Nevertheless, undeterred, the Hes East side soon found their form again, as they won both the men’s and women’s 50 metres breaststroke, being joined at the top by Derwent and Halifax. The to-ing and fro-ing of the winners meant that overall scores were very close going into the final six races, and other colleges could have a major part to play in who would emerge as winners.

In the women’s 50 metres freestyle event, all colleges adopted some inventive and entertaining swimming styles, and things looked good for Derwent as they took victory. Vanbrugh then finished comfortably in second, ahead of Goodricke who snatched third from Langwith. And Goodricke then followed this up with a win on the men’s side of the proceedings, whilst Derwent finished further down the field.

Langwith and Vanbrugh then claimed the bragging rights in the women’s and men’s 100 metres individual relay respectively. However, it turned out to be Goodricke’s day in the final two events as they won in both forms of the 50 metres freestyle relay, which rounded off a brilliant all-round team performance and brought the evening to a close. This meant that Goodricke had failed to finish at least third in just three of 22 races.

Overall, the event was a huge success and was incredibly entertaining for everyone involved. In the same competitive, friendly atmosphere as the college rowing event a week earlier, it demonstrated some of the best swimming talent on offer at the university and was a superb advert for college sport.

Dave Washington, College Sport Officer, told Nouse: “Like last week it was fantastic to see so many people attending the event, and representing or supporting their college. The atmosphere was brilliant and the standard of swimming really high. Congratulations to Goodricke on an excellent and deserved victory.”

Overall Standings:
1. Goodricke (173 points)
2. Derwent (160 points)
3. Langwith (122 points)
4. Halifax (116 points)
5. Vanbrugh (99 points)
6. James (75 points)
7. Alcuin (55 points)
8. Wentworth (34 points)