TV Review: The Tomorrow People

This US superhero series has plenty of promise, offering suspense filled drama at its heart. reviews

THE CW UPFRONTS 2013
The Tomorrow People, a series which aired in the UK on the 8th January, sees a group of outsiders who represent the next step in human evolution fight an ongoing battle against a federal organisation who look to seek out and either cure or kill them. While US drama Heroes and the British-made Misfits have set new standards for non-comic-book-based ensemble superhero television, The Tomorrow People grabs the attention of its viewers with the suspense surrounding the characters’ survival. The series originally ran in the UK during the 70s and once again in the 90s has returned in an American production. It comes with the classic American stamp of big budgets and twenty year old actors portraying teenagers.

In the Pilot we met a teen named Stephen Jameson (played by Robbie Arnell) who is taking anti-psychotic medication because he keeps waking up in strange places, such as his next-door neighbours’ bed, and keeps hearing a voice that insists that he’s really okay. However he’s not crazy. He’s one of “The Tomorrow People,” the name given to the homo superiors who are telepathic, telekinetic and can teleport from place to place. The voice in his head is a fellow Tomorrow Person, Cara (Peyton List). She coaxes Stephen to the underground den where the rest of their kind reside as they seek sanctuary where they can hide from the danger of Ultra, the federal organisation that is looking to seek out the homo superiors before they supposedly do some serious damage to the world.

The underlying question throughout the series is the location of Stephen’s father (who is also a powerful Tomorrow Person). He supposedly has the key or the clues to help them reach the refuge. Both the characters and viewers are left with doubt and hope of this throughout the series. It provides a solid reason on top of their survival to keep watching, will we ever find Stephen’s father? The leaders of The Tomorrow People John (Luke Mitchell) and Cara hope by bringing Stephen into the mix that he can help them contact the elder Jameson.

The show presents most of its characters as hard-faced and stern. Although broken up by Aaron Yoo’s Russell Kwan upbeat personality, the Tomorrow People can come off as overly aggressive – Luke Mitchell’s John Young, in particular – adding more wit and humour may break the serious tone of the series. Don’t let this put you off though as this characterisation certainly fits with the setting and tone, the show has the potential to get a lot more viewers.

The seventies children’s TV programming has thus given way to fast-talking, action packed espionage as our new hero, Jameson, infiltrates the secret government organisation Ultra (headed by Jedikiah), to find his father who supposedly holds the key to saving his kind. It is an intriguing premise, with plenty more twists and turns to come, the series is a must for those who enjoy science fiction.