London Collections: Menswear the new Womenswear?

Nouse fashion reviews LCM and what guys will be wearing come AW15

The British economy gains £9.9 Billion each year, courtesy of foreign interest in Brit menswear. Yet it is only recently that London’s potent recipe of internationally-recognized sartorial excellence, and pioneering design schools, peppered with the ghosts of radical subcultures has been fully embraced by the global fashion set. The latest London Collections: Men, a Topman-established fashion-week initiative, proved once again that London is in this for the long-haul. The designs ranged from unattainable luxury to unconventional visionary. As the designers, ever-aware of commerciality, offered themes that could be translated to the everyday high-street. Here’s the step-by-step Nouse Fashion guide to how men will dress come this time next year.
The first item to be grabbed from the wardrobe on a bleak January morning in 2015 will be a classic Del-boy-esque turtle-neck or roll-neck jumper. Whether chunky or finely knitted, this 70’s essential formed the canvas for many Autumn/Winter collections. It is a versatile item that looks just as good with your arctic parka and trainers as with a blazer and slipper.
turtle neck
Accompanying your 2015 knitwear will be a wide-legged trouser. Be it sporty with an elasticated cuff a la Nasir Mazhar, three quarter length in homage to Agi & Sam or channeling 80’s tailoring in a tapered style courtesy of Richard Nicoll- those ball-busting skinnies are out. Concerned by a new found breeziness? Why not rock your Summer wardrobe and layer your legwear, shorts on trousers on leggings in Astrid Anderson style.
trousers

For the vertically-challenged footwear shan’t be an issue next December. Whilst you could never picture yourself floored in distress on the cobbled streets of the shambles, JW Anderson once again proves his capacity to reinterpret traditional codes of menswear in a thoroughly thought-provoking way. The bold and brilliant amongst us will not only be fashionably but also literally superior to the common man, courtesy of his chunky platform heels. Check out Alexander McQueen and Hunter Gatherer’s shows for corroboration.
shoes

For those harrowed by the concept of platform shoes, take comfort in the slouchy lounge coats that mooched down the runway. Next season you will be expected to provide comfort for yourself and for those around you with your shaggy reverse shearling (teddy bear) coats. These draped woollen overcoats are making a firm impression, but be prepared for frequent violations of personal space and clothes thieves. Alternatively adopt a Deep Southern frame of mind and chuck on a short Western-style jacket, suede, fringing, badges et al; which will surly become “the new denim jacket”.
wool coat

Like your trousers, shoes and coat, think big when it comes to the defining elements of ‘fabulosity’. Burberry, the quintessentially British powerhouse of home-grown craftsmanship, decorated models with over-sized silk handkerchiefs, billowing cashmere scarves, swathing blankets and stocky blanket tote bags; further establishing their position as London’s headline act.
burberry

There’s no need to wait until next year to stock up on winter woollies. Take this trend breakdown as a spring sales guide and raid the rails in tribute to your favourite designers. Although not yet parallel to womenswear, London Collections: Men, conveyor of exquisite talent and emancipator of menswear, has brought about global interest in London and colossal financial growth. What was once a platform for established brands is now a magnet for international designers and a nest for fresh fashion graduates. For now at least, London’s novel approach to men’s dressing has placed it firmly on the fashion map.