Preview: George Ezra at the Duchess

gets us excited about George Ezra’s forthcoming gig at the Duchess, York

It does not seem premature to say that 2014 is going to be George Ezra’s year. Short-listed for BBC’s Sound of 2014, the young Bristolian came in a very respectable fifth place. The success enjoyed by CHVRCHES, last year’s occupiers of the same position is a strong sign of what may be to come. His powerful and sophisticated vocals have already attracted attention to his debut EP, Did You Hear the Rain? released late in 2013. Budapest was undoubtedly the stand out track, a catchy tale of hopeful longing. He’s now working on his second EP, Cassy O – the title track of which he debuted on Zane Lowe’s show last night. Ezra began his festival career with the mothership of British festivals, performing on the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury last June. He has been compared to other singer-songwriters such as Ben Howard and Tom Odell, supporting the latter on several live dates during 2013. Personally, he cites Bob Dylan and Woody Guthrie as major musical influences.

This spring he’s embarking on a 22-date UK tour of his own. On February 12th, he will be performing at The Duchess here in York. Tickets are available for just £8, and if this boy’s career goes where it is expected to, this will definitely not be one to miss.