Nouse’s Most Anticipated Albums of 2014

takes a look at which albums are worth your money in 2014

10. Phantogram – Voices

voices

It’s been years since New York duo Phantogram have released a full length record, and new offering Voices is set to be well worth the wait. ‘Fall in Love,’ the first single to be released from the forthcoming album, combines Sarah Barthel’s stunning vocals and plenty of the duo’s standard synth-heavy sound with a grungier, more trippy feel. Definitely one to watch.
Released 18th February on Republic Records.

9. Jon Hopkins – Collider (Remixes)

collider

In at number nine is a bit of a cheat entry, with Hopkins’ forthcoming release of a collection of remixes from his brilliant 2013 album Immunity. Following the release of an extended edition of said album at the end of last year, Collider (Remixes) is set to offer a selection of work from the likes of Krenn, Objekt and Pangaea. With such amazing base material to play with, there’s not much chance of disappointment here. This paired with rumours of a possible follow-up to Hopkins’ collaboration with King Creosote mean that 2014 is definitely looking good for Jon: due for a February release.

8. Bombay Bicycle Club – So Long, See You Tomorrow

bombay

Few groups have such a varied repertoire in the kingdom of indie-dom than Bombay Bicycle Club. Ranging from the gritty, soaring guitars of first album I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose to the melancholy acoustic tint of Flaws, the field is very much open for the London-based four piece. With this in mind, the direction of this new album could be very interesting indeed.
Released 3rd February on Island Records.

7. The Horrors – Title TBC

Two words. And two words only. Faris Badwan. Due for release in early 2014.

6. Mogwai – Rave Tapes

mogwai

Another band who have been without an LP release in some time are Scottish rockers Mogwai. Despite providing the soundtrack to French zombie drama Les Revenants (testament enough to their coolness), their last full album Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will was released nearly three years ago. New track ‘Remurdered’ provides a brilliant sample of what’s to come with a distorted, layered feel that oozes depth and darkness.
Released 20th January on Rock Action Records.

5. Metronomy – Love Letters

love letters

A few seconds of ‘I’m Aquarius,’ the only track to be released thus far from Metronomy’s upcoming album, is absolutely plenty to pique interest. Combining atmospheric low-fi with floating, electropoppy (one for the dictionary) vocals, this chilled-out sound is bound for success in the field.
Released March 10th on Because Music.

4. St. Vincent – St. Vincent

st vincent

Annie Clark’s vocals are strange and beautiful in equal measure. Following a highly acclaimed collaboration with David Byrne, new track ‘Birth in Reverse’ from the forthcoming album presents a quirky, almost baroque-esque feel that demonstrates a striking and interesting change of tone for St. Vincent. All the essentials are still there, but with the addition of an increased self-assertiveness that’ll no doubt fuel a great album as a whole.
Released 25th February on Republic Records.

3. Warpaint – Warpaint

warpaint

For me, you really can’t go wrong with an all-female American indie rock band. Warpaint tick all the boxes that a girlband should, and make the likes of Little Mix and similar cohorts look like teenyboppers. Which, to give them their dues, many of them sort of are. Regardless, Warpaint have powerful riffs with powerful, ethereal vocals to match. Perfect.
Released 17th January on Rough Trade Records.

2. Wild Beasts – Present Tense

wild beasts

Combining some very bizarre (and wonderful) vocals with some of the most confusing lyrics you’ll ever read, Wild Beasts’ new album involves producers Leo Abrahams (who works with Jon Hopkins, mentioned earlier) and Lexxx (Bjork) – a combination with plenty of promise. No tracks have been released officially yet but a scroll through their enchanting back catalogue will serve as a filling appetiser. It’s going to be weird, it’s going to be great. Due for release early this year.
Released 24th February on Domino Records.

1. I Break Horses – Chiaroscuro

i break horses

If any band deserve even more credit than they received initially, it would be I Break Horses. Providing trance-inducing, dreamy, assured electro with lashings of synth and great vocals to match, both tracks released so far (‘Denial’ and ‘Faith’) are absolutely stunning. Words don’t really do the tracks justice, so go have a listen instead. Not one to miss.
Released 20th January on Bella Union.

1. Will look out for these. The album I’m dying for in 2014 is the next Manics one :P