YUSU receive complaints over UB1 bus

The UB1 bus timetable change has left Halifax students with little time to get to lectures

Complaints have been made about the UB1 bus after a timetable change left Halifax students with little time to get to lectures.

The UB1 is a free shuttle service, operated by Unibus, which runs between Halifax College, Campus South, Heslington Hall, Science Park, Sport Village and Heslington East Hub.

According to complainants the previous timetable allowed them to catch the 9.17am bus to Heslington East campus, where they would have three minutes to get to their lecture or seminar at 9.35am. Now these students have to catch the bus 20 minutes earlier, effectively doubling the traveling time.

Many UB1 users have now abandoned the service and are choosing to walk or to take the 44 bus.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, explained the issue and YUSU’s intention to deal with it:

“When lectures changed to half past the hour on Heslington East, and on the hour on Heslington West, we received a number of complaints and suggestions last term regarding the UB1 timings which hadn’t changed in accordance with this.

“We then met up with the UB1 providers and also University’s timetabling team to see how we could better tailor the limited service around the needs of students and when their classes started.

“The new time table was intended to offer more time before they began, as many were cutting it fine last term… Again though, this change has raised other complaints from students.

“It’s looking like these aren’t just issues relating to ‘change’, so we might well have to change the timetable once more. We’ll have a look into it, definitely.”

1. Walk you fat bastards