UYAFC show support for charity on new kit

11100444153_700981bfb6_o

UYAFC have demonstrated their support for charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) by having their logo emblazoned on the front of their new shirts. The charity, whose patrons include Sir Ian Botham, Sir Clive Woodward and Olympic gold medal winning rowers James Cracknell and Tom James, aims to work with cardiologists and doctors to monitor and protect cardiac health in young people. By sporting the charity on the front of their shirts, UYAFC are therefore foregoing a large source of income for this season for the sake of this excellent cause.

CRY look to develop better screening facilities to reduce cases of sudden cardiac death among young people. Another aspect of the charity’s work is in offering numerous supports systems these include counselling for those young people who have been diagnosed with a cardiac condition and bereavement support for families who have tragically lost someone as a result of a cardiac condition.

The charity has already been hugely successful in its field, being the first to provide information on the physiological upper limits of cardiac dimensions in adult athletes in Britain. Cardiac deaths or cardiac health related issues are all too common in football in particular, with the most high profile case of recent years being the collapse of Fabrice Muamba during an FA Cup tie between Bolton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur in March 2012. Muamba was one of the lucky few who managed to receive treatment almost straight away and although his heart stopped for more than an hour, he survived.

UYAFC’s decision to back CRY has been praised by Cass Brown, York Sport President, who described the move as a “fantastic gesture.” Meanwhile, club president Luke Bradley spoke to Nouse about UYAFC’s support for the charity, commenting: “Every week in the UK, 12 young people suffer sudden cardiac arrests. Following a number of high profile cardiac deaths in football, we felt it made sense for UYAFC to support CRY. As well as fundraising, we have therefore decided to replace the main sponsor on our merchandise with the CRY logo to raise awareness of this issue outside professional sport and to promote this wonderful charity.”