University to adopt Street Angels scheme

YUSU are looking into adopting the Street Angels scheme to help inebriated students on YUSU club nights

YUSU are considering adopting a national scheme to help inebriated students after club nights. The scheme, called ‘Street Angels’, is set to involve teams of volunteers looking after students in town at night.

Though the plans are subject to change, the current idea is for teams of three to be in York city centre after YUSU-sponsored club nights. According to the written proposal, the project’s aims are to reduce the number of students in vulnerable situations at night, and alleviate pressure on the emergency services by providing a way to look after intoxicated students.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, described the benefits of the scheme, saying: “It would really help those students who are in that awkward gap of being too drunk for a taxi, but not in a bad enough state to merit using the emergency services.”

However, he also said that the scheme is far from final. Taylor emphasised that YUSU were “still looking into it”, but added that “it would be great if students could let us know if they’d be keen to be a part of this.”

1. Commendable, but perhaps they should be focusing on the cause rather than the effect?