University launches crowdfunding scheme to fund York student projects and societies

YuStart will give students the chance to start up their own societies and other innovative projects

Credit: YUSU

Credit: YUSU

The University has launched a crowdfunding platform scheme designed to support student projects and societies.

YuStart was launched at ReFreshers fair on campus on 17 January. York is the first UK University to launch its own crowdfunding platform. It will give students the chance to start up their own societies and other innovative projects. YuStart is a simple concept allowing members of the University to raise money from multiple donors. Donors can give a small sum in return for a reward, such as a t-shirt or an invitation to attend an event.

It will enable the University to involve friends, family and alumni in funding innovative ideas and projects from clubs, societies, volunteering projects and departments, extending the fundraising reach of students and providing valuable information. The scheme will be a centralised online platform to showcase innovative student projects.

Over the last couple of months, YUSU have been working with the Alumni department, DARO. York students have already been looking to crowd funding to enable their projects and by having an inhouse platform students will be able to get the benefit of direct alumni connections by working with DARO.

The scheme has been developed by the University’s Development Office in partnership with YUSU and education specialist Hubbub.

“York students are already looking to crowd funding to enable their projects,” Susie Fothergill, Head of Development and Alumni Relations told Nouse: “By having an in-house platform we can give students direct access to an alumni audience and ensure that their projects have the backing of the University.”

As well as access to specialist support from Hubbub, projects who fundraise through the platform, will benefit from the personal support of a new YuStart Ambassador. Working with Ono the team in the Development Office, Liza Parker, a PPE student, will give advice on website content and running effective social media campaigns.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, also spoke with Nouse:

“YUSU are really excited about the creation of the YuStart platform as it opens up the possibility of a whole new funding method for our students, he said.

“With such a wide range of opportunities and activities on offer at York, gaining enough funding can sometimes be quite difficult and so YuStart will be a new and creative way to help solve this problem.

“In addition, the platform will also enable current students to engage with alumni better than ever before and especially build stronger ties with our recent graduates.”