Senior staff triumph over student team 270 – 230 in York University Challenge

Staff team triumph in the second half and bring the game to a decisive 270-230 finish

Credit: Petroc Taylor

Credit: Petroc Taylor

In their first match as a competitive quiz team, the 2014 York University Challenge team have narrowly lost to a team of senior staff members, who won 270-230.

The student side was comprised of Adam Koper, Jack Alexander and Josef Crowther, and captained by Alisdair Middleton, the team who will soon be facing Paxman himself.

Their opponents were Mr Graham Gilbert, Director of Finance; Professor Deborah Smith OBE, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for research; Professor John Robinson, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for learning and teaching; and captained by Dr Jane Grenville, Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

The event was held in the Roger Kirk Centre and was recorded by an ITV camera crew, who are following the University Challenge team this year for a documentary.

Daniel Whitmore, YUSU Academic Officer, presided over the competition. Comprised of two, twenty-minute rounds, at half time, the students were winning.
However, things took a turn in the staff’s favour in the second half. Ultimately, they triumphed to win 270-230.

“By rights, you should have won,” Grenville told the student team afterwards. “I’m disappointed,” Middleton admitted, despite having answered the most questions correctly out of all eight players.