Levi Roots: My Roasted Roots Soup

Levi Roots shares his recipe for Roasted Roots Soup

Photo Credit: Checkmihlyrics

Photo Credit: Checkmihlyrics

“Try my Roasted Roots Soup – this is fabulicious for so many reasons! It’s cheap to make, it fills you up and it tastes fantastic. Enjoy!”

Ingredients:

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tomatoes, halved
2 red peppers, deseeded
2 red onions, quartered
3 tbsp olive oil
4cm fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
400ml can coconut milk
1 bay leaf
Salt and black pepper
Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Crusty white bread, to serve

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Toss the vegetables in the oil and roast in a roasting tin for 40 minutes, until cooked, stirring halfway through. Remove from the oven and when cool, peel the skin from the peppers and tomatoes. Chop the peppers.
2. Now you have two choices. I like the soup to be chunky so I chop up the roasted roots, put them in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients and 800ml water and stir. Or put the vegetables in a blender or food processor with all the other ingredients except the bay leaf and whizz up to give a smoother soup. Then put this in a pan with 800ml water and the bay leaf and give it a good stir.
3 Season with salt. Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes to let the flavours settle down together.
4. Serve with a sprinkling of smoked paprika and black pepper on top. Garnish with coriander. Serve with crusty white bread.

Levi’s top 5 student essentials:

1. Reggae Reggae Sauce! It goes with everything!
2. Pimento (allspice) – very versatile as it can be used in sweet and savoury dishes.
3. Sweet potatoes – so good for you, really colourful, and easy to use.
4. Scotch bonnet peppers – they add a fabulicious fruity heat to any dish.
5. Essential herbs and spices to bring some Caribbean fun to any dish including garlic, thyme, ginger, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and bay leaves.