James and Derwent victorious in the Tent

Both James and Derwent beat their opponents in Tent on Sunday afternoon

Images: Petroc Taylor

James’ netball side triumphed in a close, competitive game against Halifax in the tent this afternoon, winning 20-15.

Both teams came out strongly and battled hard, with neither team gaining the upper hand for the first few minutes.
Three minutes into the tie, the scores were dead-level at 2-2. Although both sides demonstrated solid shooting skills and maintained the pressure to keep themselves within the game, a steadfast James defence allowed them to take control of the first half which eventually ended 10-7 in their favour.

However, determined not to lose the game, Halifax came out fighting in the second half.

This paid off as they went on to score the first two goals of the second period, bringing themselves within one point of James with just two minutes played. Nevertheless, James were defiant themselves and quickly fought back to take the lead once again.

Determination was consistently demonstrated by both teams, keeping the game both tense and combative, with a points difference of no more than three at any point during the first ten minutes of the second half.
It was not until the final few minutes of the game that James were able to reassert their dominance.

But when they did so, they managed to pull away, increasing their lead and eventually winning the match with a score-line of 20-15.

Speaking after the game, James captain Ellie Redwood stated that “it was an amazing game; really, really tight. Both teams deserved to win really.”

On the losing side of proceedings, Halifax captain Sarah Moody told Nouse that she thought “everyone played really well… There was lots of positive energy and James put up a good fight. I’m proud of each and every one of the players.”

Meanwhile, in the final match of the day, Alcuin put up a good fight but were unable to match Derwent.
The team in blue came out on top in a pulsating fixture, winning 10-4.

Both teams performed solidly, attempting to gain a foothold in the game, applying great pressure on their opponents.

Alcuin were unable to capitalise on early chances and were only able to put one goal past the solid Derwent defence. However, they maintained their own defensive tenacity, making many interceptions and restricting Derwent to only five goals.

The first half ended with Derwent leading 5-1. After the break, Alcuin appeared determined to get back into the match and seeemed to be making a comeback, getting the better of their opponents’ defence on three occasions.
Nonetheless, Derwent reasserted their dominance as the second half neared its close and repeated their first half triumph of scoring five goals.

This resulted in them eventually winning the match 10-4. Following the game, Derwent captain Rosie McCluskey told Nouse: “It was a great result for the girls today, we’re starting to get back to top form after the holidays, but we had strong opponents in Alcuin.”

Meanwhile, disappointed Alcuin captain Honor Stott stated: “We did not do as well as we’d hoped and were not up to our usual standard.”

Earlier on, in the other match of the day, Goodricke dominated Langwith in a fast-paced game, running out as 31-9 winners against their Hes East rivals.