Inclement weather wreaks fixture havoc

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Heavy rain throughout Saturday night and Sunday morning was enough to completely waterlog 22 Acres, meaning that all four of the college football fixtures on Sunday had to be postponed.

This comes after the inclement weather was also enough to cancel two matches in the previous round of fixtures, when freezing conditions made the pitches unplayable.

This latest round of postponements will add even more pressure to an already manic college sport fixture list this term, particularly with the upcoming College Varsity and its qualifiers prior to the event.

There is now a backlog of six games that need to be played. The matches are expected to be postponed until later this term. Drewent vs. Goodricke and Halifax vs. Vanbrugh fell victim of the weather during week one.

Last weekend’s clashes between Alcuin and Derwent; James and Halifax; Wentworth and Vanbrugh; and the Hes East derby between Goodricke and Langwith will all be cancelled and must now be rearranged for coming weeks.

Dave Washington, the College Sport Activator for the York Sport Union, told Nouse: “Unfortunately the elements have once more conspired against us, and it’s frustrating for everyone involved. Sadly there’s nothing we can do about the weather, and we’ll just have to hope that it improves over the next few weeks.

“At least we had some excellent action on the JLD and indoors, but with a busy term ahead it’s putting increased pressure on an already packed schedule. We’ll do our very best though to ensure that all games are completed.”

The captain of the Langwith football team, Marcus Campbell, added: “I think it’s unlucky but there is nothing you can really do about it.

“I just hope we have time to make up for any of the other matches that are cancelled this term.”
The weather didn’t just affect the football fixtures; it also led to the cancellation of several training sessions, including the women’s lacrosse team.

Aine Moylett, the side’s development coach, told Nouse: “It can be annoying having training disrupted due to the weather. However, the decision is made due the safety concerns as, with muddy conditions, people are more likely to fall over and sustain injury such as a sprained ankle etc.”