DIY: New Year, New Tee

explains why it’s better to rock your own home-made slogan

Heisenberg-Urban

It’s high time we binned the cliché “New year, new me” saying that has no doubt littered your newsfeed this past month. January is brimming with the potential for new experiences, new clothes and new mantras. Sorry YOLO, you’re so fired. Whilst the disillusioned opt to abide by #eatclean, the motto of Peter Jensen’s unashamedly vulgar “Spend, Spend, Spend” sweater is far less contrived and far more fashion.

As amusing as you may find Jensen’s ironic riff on consumerism, bathing your £110 sweatshirt in tears following an unfortunate encounter with some unassuming Merlot would be anything but funny. In keeping with Nouse Fashion’s ethical mantra, I suggest silk-screen printing your own for a fraction of the price. Whether witty, ironic, offensive or touching, ride the slogan tee trend and wear your heart on your sleeve.

In tribute to Peter Jensen, the mildly repulsive slogan I printed, “Hot and Crusty”, is not a floozy attempt at self-improvement with the use by date February 1st; this year, more baked goods, fewer healthy hashtags. Resolutions aside, there is no need to restrict yourself to life-affirming mottos. Have people guessing at how you fund such an exclusive wardrobe by replicating your favourite designer classics for pennies.

emblemHC

Bring down the roof at the next PolSoc social in a replica of Katherine ‘Slogan Queen’ Hamnett’s infamous “58 per cent Don’t Want Pershing” tee, or make an impression like the 80’s kids by donning a faux “Frankie Says Relax” top or a BOY London mock up. Alternatively, channel the Notting Hill set and slip into a raunchy House of Holland motto. Whatever your decision, assert your independence and start the year as sincerely and unapologetically as you mean to go on. Read more, drink less, attend lectures: all pathetic excuses for resolutions, not to mention lame t-shirt designs. Forget common decency, jump on that craft-wagon, do it yourself and give your credit card the January detox it’s begging for…

MAKE YOUR OWN IN 7 EASY STEPS:

Materials: You’ll need a large embroidery hoop, a sheet of organza (any meshed fabric will do), 1 sheet of tracing paper, a pair of scissors/craft knife (all of the aforementioned available at Boyes), fabric ink and a squeegee or long, plank-like instrument for spreading the ink (both can be found in Craft Heaven in Fossgate).

1. Start by stretching the mesh over the embroidery hoop (tightness is key to avoiding a lumpy print and a professional finish).

2. Simply trace your chosen design on to the tracing paper and cut using your pre-prepared scissors.

3. Aligning your chopped tracing paper atop a garment, ensure that the design is sitting exactly where you want it and place your embroidery hoop on the paper mesh-side down.

4. Pour the ink onto the top of the mesh screen. Pull the squeegee towards you to push the ink across the surface of the mesh and, in doing so, down onto the traced design beneath it.

5. Repeat this action of pushing the ink over the mesh approximately four times, ensuring that the entirety of the traced deign has been covered.

6. Lift the embroidery hoop from the garment to reveal the printed design.

7. Leave to dry overnight and iron on the reverse side to fix.

1. Teach me how to silk screen and I’ll game

2. My bad! My phone flicked down and i didn’t see those fab instructions :)