Campus style: What are you wearing?

Maddie Smith, 3rd year, studying English Literature

Nouse

Nouse

The one thing on my mind when I got dressed this morning was the weather. Yes it’s freezing outside but I don’t want to overheat in the library. I decided to layer basics and warm accessories that I can take off once inside. I always choose accessories with a bit of character, because at this time of year it’s what people are going to see 90 per cent of the time!

Today I’m wearing a tartan tunic from River Island with a coat from Topshop. I love layering the different checked prints that are around this winter so I’ve added this double printed scarf from Zara. The chilly conditions called for my Topshop fedora, and I’m never seen without my glasses from Purple Haze (The vintage shop in town.) I enjoy following trends but it’s still really important for me to put my own stamp on an outfit. I found these vintage cat-eye glasses for just £10 but they have become part of my signature look. I had my prescription lenses put in at Ciliaryblue.co.uk and for a little bit of effort it means I have something completely one off. People often joke that I look like Dame Edna, or Indiana Jones in my fedora, but I like to take risks!

It’s the unexpected items that make the difference between someone who just follows trends and someone who’s prepared to create their own style. That said I always make sure I buy clothes that are comfortable and practical.

I admire Alexa Chung’s style because it isn’t too pretentious or over the top; you can tell she is completely at ease in what she’s wearing and I think that’s why her style always looks so effortless. If people ask me my opinion on an outfit I always tell them that there is no point wearing it unless they are 100% happy themselves, any lack of confidence will show through.

Think you’ve got the style that outranks the rest on campus? Send your look to [email protected]