Boxing Club confirm exhibition night

Images: Dan Holland

University of York Boxing Club Vice-President Oli Whear has announced that the club will host its second boxing exhibition fight night on the penultimate Sunday of term, following up from an event held in 2013.

Last year’s Spring Term event, which was the first of its kind, was a sell out success. One of the main highlights of the evening was the high-tempo nature of the occasion, which provided a tense atmosphere for a highly charged crowd to revel in.

This year, the exhibition will take place on 9th March in The Lounge at James College, with twelve fights in the pipeline. And in a repeat of the first event last year, there will be both boxing and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) on display.

Prices have been reduced to just £6, ensuring a fantastic atmosphere as the crowd slowly but surely blows its cash on shots and cocktails.

Chok Dee, the well known independent MMA Club in York, are sending down fighters to take part, as they did last year.

The bout between UYB’s Max Raju and Chok Dee’s Mikey Chadwick was one of the highlights of the night during the 2013 event, and sets the bar high for the contestants in this year’s event.

Whear, the main organisational force behind the exhibition nights, spoke fondly of the inaugural event. “It was by far the highlight of my undergraduate life. When I started university I was fat and unhappy. Boxing has changed that!”

Speaking more seriously about the virtues of boxing and the reasons for UYB’s success, Whear said: “Boxing helps with discipline, creativeness and confidence. You can be a man or a woman, fat or thin, and it doesn’t matter as long as you push yourself to work hard then boxing is always rewarding.

“With these exhibitions we have put the foundations in place for a club which is open, accessible and friendly for everyone, regardless of ability.”

Each fight lasts for three rounds of two minutes, with the fighters beginning a daily training regime in preparation for the contests, “or they bloody well should be,” Whear joked.

1. Great news! Would recommend it to everyone, whether you like boxing or not.