University staff in further strike action

Throughout January and February members of the University and College Union will take action over continuing pay disputes

Josiah Mortimer

Josiah Mortimer

University staff are set to hold further strike action this month following the continuing dispute over wages.

Members of University and College Union will strike firstly on January 23rd from 11.00am until 13.00pm, then on January 28th from 14.00pm until 16.00pm and lastly on February 10th from 09.00am to 11.00am. Industrial action will take place at universities across the country, and the UCU has warned that if progress is not made then members may consider a boycott of exam marking.

The action is being taken over the 1% pay rise that has been offered to university staff. Unions state that pay has dropped, in real terms, by 13% in the last five years.

Joanna de Groot, President of the University of York Branch of UCU, stated previously that “At a time when universities have healthy financial surpluses of around £1bn, and feel able to award senior staff substantial pay rises, their offer to the staff who deliver the core activities of universities leaves us with something like a 12–13% fall in our pay over the last four years.

“Industrial disputes in universities are always challenging for university staff who are very committed to students, to colleagues and to the work they do; having received a mandate to take action we shall work with all our members to ensure they understand how important it is to support it.”

This follows the walk outs and strikes seen last term, when members of the University and College Union, Unite and Unison took action, representing the first ever UK-wide joint strike by university unions.