Miley and Kristen – Fashion’s new faces or just column space?

Sour faced beauty Kirsten Stewart is to follow in the footsteps of Blake Lively, Keira Knightley and Diane Kruger in fronting the 2014 Chanel campaign. The 23 year old, famed for her role as moody teenager Bella Swan in Twilight, has been chosen by Karl Lagerfeld to front his next range. The pair met originally in 2012 when Kristen posed for a Chanel Couture shoot. She is obviously 2014’s hot fashion property, as she has recently posed topless for Balancegia’s new perfume ad. Similarly, everyone’s favourite controversial celebrity Miley Cyrus has got two bookings; not only is she the new face of Marc Jacobs Spring 2014 campaign. And poses scantily clad (not much change there) but this time in aid of NYU Skin Cancer Institute. The simple tees, featuring the logo ‘Protect the Skin you’re in’ can be bought for $35.
mcs

Both girls don’t exactly seem like obvious choices to face the brands. Miley, love her or loathe her has most recently been discussed for her fashion faux pas and wardrobe malfunctions, not to mention her controversial behaviour involving illegal substances and foam fingers. Meanwhile, Kristen has often been criticised for never cracking a smile, and living in denim and plaid. I believe the designers are buying into the charms of the underdog. Some may say I’m being too sceptical, but the main motive for designers to attach their collection to these young celebrities is the easy publicity with them being in the spotlight for some personal life crisis or scandal.

ks

In an interview with Elle Canada Kristen said that she finds it strange that actors and musicians are expected to be so deeply intertwined with fashion. She described it as an “odd relationship, that she has nothing to do with”. Claiming that she tries to funnel her creative energy into the industry where she can. The young actress, who has not personally won any awards to date, seems to be acknowledged for her transformation in the world of fashion. Grazia for example, have followed her journey from grungy duckling to (ignore the awful pun) an award ceremony attending Swan, often dressed in Balancegia. Could it be the name behind the extremely successful Twilight brand that Karl sees or the fresh face of one of fashion’s ‘up and comers’?

Miley is more likely to be attacked for her use of bold and clothing- less fashion, however she certainly has a large enough following the help Marc’s collection fly off the rails. Undeniably, in this case it is for a fabulous cause and the designs themselves are very wearable, but it is extremely possible that MJ to be using Miley’s recent press space to fuel his campaign rather than choosing the best girl for the job. Interestingly, acclaimed model Juergen Teller who worked with Marc on his latest campaign, originally declined working with Miley. As Miley happy exclaimed in an interview with Rolling Stone she is “just 108 pounds!”, so she may have the model proportions and be a stunning young woman, but a fashion role model she is not.
mc

In this particular shoot Miley seems to have made a compromise, and is dressed respectfully in a navy blouse and plum coloured shorts. Could this transformation be evidence of the fashion world kicking back at the use of tween stars and their ‘buzz word’ names in the fashion industry? I think that is a far too optimistic claim; the designers have unfortunately chosen a celebrity brand over talent.

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.