Weekend TV: Sherlock, The Voice and Take Me Out

reviews the best of last weekend’s TV

flirty_thirty_take_me_out_girls_2014

Television this weekend saw the return of The Voice and the end of Sherlock. There was the usual Saturday night TV from ITV with Splash and Take Me Out on the box. But what was worth watching? Most certainly Sherlock, but this week The Voice also beat Splash in the battle ratings, proving that it could be on a comeback.

Sherlock

Another series has come and gone and ‘His Last Vow’ was a gripping ninety minutes of television. Finally we were given a villain after the soppiness of the previous two episodes, and Lars Mikkelsen as Charles Augustus Magnussen was perfectly cast. His villain found people’s pressure points and henceforth exploited them. But it was the plot twist of the series which had people gasp in surprise as John’s new wife Mary shot Sherlock in the chest when he interrupted her and Magnussen. But it was fine as only injured Sherlock. It was then when she was revealed to have been a master assassin in a life she wanted to leave behind and John had been her clean sheet, but Magnussen still had information on her.

The episode was full of action with Sherlock doing his best to exploit Magnussen. It was then when it was shown that Sherlock does feel. Magnussen knew John was Sherlock’s weakness, and John’s weakness was his new wife who Magnussen had information on. But Sherlock proved himself to be more than an emotionless sociopath when he shot the villain dead in order to salvage Mary and John’s marriage, a selfless act which had Mycroft shaking his head in annoyance. His brother, as we are constantly reminded, is the British Government and so it was no shock when Sherlock was sent on a plane on a mission where he could lie low for six months. The real shock came four minutes into Sherlock’s plane journey when Steven Moffat dropped the bombshell: Moriarty’s face appearing on every single screen in London.

The final episode of Sherlock was a thrilling ninety minute ride of wit, love, Sherlock facing his drug addiction, Sherlock’s parents returning for another appearance, and a blackmailer urinating in a fireplace. It was like Christmas, which was even in the episode too.

The Voice

Gone are Danny O’Donoghue and Jessie J, in come Kylie Minogue and Ricky Wilson. There had been much speculation that The Voice would never survive on BBC television. The ratings in previous years haven’t been brilliant, and there has been too much comparison between it and The X Factor once the swivelling chairs are out of the way with. But there was something different about The Voice on Saturday night. It almost seemed enjoyable to watch. Minogue is a welcome addition to the judging panel, proving herself to be witty, honest and kind to contestants. Wilson too proved he was able to hold his own, speaking to contestants with honesty about the music industry.
Willi.i.am was there to provide the ‘dope’ comments, and Tom Jones is simply legendary enough to sit on the panel and share his advice after being in the music industry for decades. Of course there were the usual contestants on the show; one sang a Taylor Swift song and another declared how he had a crush on Kylie. Week one gave us the usual from the talent show, but the judges all managed to get along without any confrontation which makes a change with talent shows. Next week will possibly be the same, but it still beats watching Splash.

Take Me Out

The new series kicked off last Saturday, hitting its sixth series and still giving the singletons a glimmer of hope that true love really does exist. The show is simplistic enough, 30 girls look glamorous as they stand behind podiums waiting for Mr Right to come along. If they like the guy then they leave their light on, and as the old saying goes, ‘No Likey, No Lighty!’ Take Me Out is easy TV to follow for a Saturday night, but there are some issues with the series, and one which appears cruel. The series has introduced the concept of a Mysterious Girl, an unseen female who lurks off screen for the men to choose if they don’t like the remaining option. It appears cruel for girls who are left to be pushed to one side for someone who the man has never seen before, but it adds some excitement to the show if the man even makes it to the final stage.

Take Me Out isn’t perfect television, nor does it offer the chance for someone to win a record contract or money, but the show is easy if you’re looking for a Saturday night programme where brain cells aren’t required.