Weekend TV: Splash!, Dancing On Ice and Sherlock

reviews the best of last weekend’s TV

dancinoniceWeekend TV has taken a turn, and probably not for the best. With Christmas TV ending and the goodbye of Strictly Come Dancing and The X Factor, there are now more TV shows with less appeal. The Voice is set to return soon, but until then ITV has done their best to keep us glued to their channel. It just might not have worked as well as they had hoped it would.

Splash!

A leisure centre and Tom Daley host this show which has returned for a second series. It has to be a shock that it has returned for another one after the first series flopped. The show had no real reason to be ninety minutes long but, like The X Factor, it succeeds on dragging every single story out.

But if watching celebrities diving into water wasn’t cringe worthy enough then there comes the fact we then have to watch them dither whilst they are critiqued by two diving panels and comedienne Jo Brand. What Jo Brand knows about diving is nothing apparently. The only reason she is there is to offer the celebrities some kind words about their diving when there really are no kind words.

Whilst Tom Daley does bring some class to the proceedings, the same cannot be said about Vernon Kay and Gabby Logan who present the programme. They have a lack of chemistry and their jokes are so cheesy that they make Dermot O’Leary’s feeble X Factor presenting skills seem passable. But not everyone was bad at diving, Diversity street dancer Perri Kiley was one of the better offerings on the show. But it was The Only Way Is Essex star Gemma Collins who found herself booted off from the show in the first week after losing out in the ‘splash off’.

So with the first episode of the second series over and done with, will there be another series in the future? Are ITV cruel enough to do that to viewers? So long as it continues to gain ratings then it probably will be renewed, much to the joy of some and the dismay of others.

Dancing on Ice

Dancing on Ice is arguably the ITV’s version of Strictly, with the one twist of being on ice instead of a wooden floor. Yet this series is the final one and it wasn’t without controversy as Jorgie Porter was partnered with her best friend’s (Jennifer Metcalfe) ex-boyfriend Sylvian Longchambon. Metcalfe and Longchambon also happened to dance with each other on the show before the professional ice skater moved on to date Samia Ghadie. However, the couple were shown the door when it was announced that they had the least public votes, regardless of their respectable 29 out of 40 points for their dance.

There were seven pairs who performed on Sunday night’s show, but there was only room for five to continue on. After an awkward interview with Porter and host Philip Schofield; it was announced that Joe Pasquale would be the other celebrity to leave the dancing show. He failed to impress in the skate off, allowing Bonnie Langford to continue to next week.

Arguably Dancing on Ice has done well to last for nine series, but with it failing to live up the standards of Strictly Come Dancing it could be for the best that the show is coming to a close. Besides, watching celebrities fall on ice gets boring pretty quickly.

Sherlock

After the New Year Day special, Sherlock returned to screens on Sunday night and we saw the sleuth face what was to be his toughest challenge yet: delivering the Best Man’s speech for John Watson’s wedding day. It had all the characters in a whirl, especially Mrs Hudson as she struggled to contain her laughter at the thought of Sherlock performing a speech. This episode saw Holmes deliver what has to be one of the most unconventional speeches of all time, yet it worked well as Benedict Cumberbatch flawlessly performed the speech with tear jerking moments with regards to his friendship with John. The show took up the majority of the ninety minute spectacle as Holmes recalled previous cases like The Mayfly Man, The Bloody Guardsman and, literally, The Elephant in the Room.

But Sherlock had another case to solve as a murder was due to take place at the Watson’s wedding reception. Queue Sherlock’s mind palace, high speed deductions of who could be killed in the room, and who the killer was. All of the stories finally linked together and Sherlock once again saved the day.

There were cases involved in the storyline, but arguably it was Watson and Holmes relationship which was put in the centre of the plot. Martin Freeman and Cumberbatch make an excellent pair together; their relationship is believable, and as Sherlock strode from the disco early in his famous coat it was hard not to wonder how the marriage will change his and John’s relationship. Perhaps the answer is quite a lot more, after Sherlock deduced that the new Mrs Watson was pregnant. Regardless, there were scenes of a drunk Sherlock and John, there was the usual ribbing of Lestrade and Molly’s ‘Sherlock lookalike boyfriend’ bore the brunt of her anger as he unsuccessfully tried to solve Sherlock’s case.

With the final episode next week, Sherlock faces a new villain in the form of a blackmailer. This week may have provided some light relief, but next week shows no sign of alcohol in a test tube for the consulting detective as we return straight to the action.