Separating the man from the music

Before the revelations about Lostprophets front man, Ian Watkins, came out, he was an admired musician whose band’s music stole the hearts and minds of many a teenager. Now every time I hear his voice in my ears, I have to skip it. I can’t listen to a word from his mouth

Ian Watkins, the convicted paedophile, has been sentenced to 35 years behind bars for a range of child sex offences. He has revealed himself to be a sick, callous individual, showing no remorse for his crimes, which he could commit in part because of his celebrity status. It afforded him a level of power, allowing him access to all sorts of people.

He was also the frontman of the Pontypridd fringe-of-mainstream rock sextet Lostprophets – frontman of the band that shaped most of my teenage years. I went to their shows. I made great friends sitting in queues for hours outside venues where they played gigs. I bought their t-shirts and plastered my room in posters. At thirteen, creating my email address, I named it after my favourite CD – which was Lostprophets’ third album, Liberation Transmission.

When the verdict was delivered, my Facebook feed was full of people voicing their disgust at how short the sentence was. It was my friends saying this. People I’d sat in the freezing cold with outside their gigs. Girls who had giggled and fawned over Watkins’ pout. Boys who had bellowed along to stadium-sized choruses with me.

I met Watkins but I could never say I liked him, he creeped me out. But I just assumed he was a sleazy drug-addled throwback to the days of 80s musicians. I waited patiently for his signature then I went to talk to the guitarists about coffee and bleached hair.

Every day, I have to check my inbox at [email protected] That’s bad enough. And obviously the victims in this case are the children Watkins molested and abused: that is under no contention. But I know people who have are also suffering, but cannot levy criminal charges: the girl who got into a sexual relationship with him at 16; my friend who has lyrics tattooed on his arm; the woman who used to be their merch girl; and of course his ex-bandmates.

For all the disrepute Watkins has brought Lostprophets into, the other five musicians in the band are that: musicians. They have been a band since 1999, and it has ended 14 years later in arguably the worst way possible. Their livelihood has been stripped away from them, and their names are tarnished by mere association. Four of them are married, with young families. What are they going to do with their lives now? HMV has pulled all Lostprophets albums from their shelves: why are five hard-working, genuine men being punished for the crimes of a sixth?

This is where I should produce my argument, a well-reasoned line about how we should divorce art from ad hominem attacks on the artists. We watched Roman Polanski and Woody Allen films despite aspersions cast on their characters; can’t we apply the same reasoning to Lostprophets’ music? Can I argue that these songs still have artistic merit? That the emotions created by listening to his words, and these songs, are still valid despite his crimes? Doesn’t art transcend its creators and occupy its own world, as we, the consumers, interpret it?

Maybe someone else can argue that. It’s what I want to say – it really is – but every time I hear his voice in my ears, I have to skip it. I can’t listen to a word from his mouth, but I equally can’t bring myself to delete their fives albums off my iTunes either.

It seems Lostprophets may be going the same way as Gary Glitter: a popular music act so tainted by spectres of paedophilia that to express a fondness for their songs is tantamount to tacitly endorsing child sex crimes.

Obviously, that’s a flawed argument. Liking someone’s music does not mean you like every seedy aspect of their character. And yet, I don’t know if I’ll be able to listen to Liberation Transmission ever again.

1. Read any Hollywood gossip board and you will see that Pedophilia is rife in the entertainment industry. IW was brought to justice by a few tenacious individuals, but read about Miley Cyrus, Hayden Panettiere, Jamie Lynn Spears and Amanda Bynes, to name but a few big names rumoured to be effected. I needs to be easier for people to come forward and for people to be taken seriously, with out predudice. It’s sickening, but sadly institutionalised.

2. Your main problem is the five lost prophets albums on your itunes. Holy fuck; why would you ever want that in the first place?

3. Consider the Woody Allen Quandary. Once people learned of Allen’s marriage to his adopted daughter, they boycotted his films. Unless you want to date Woody Allen, why would you care what he does with his personal life? It’s hard to be a good person and it’s hard to produce a good piece of work. To do both is to have unrealistic expectations of the person who does the creating.

I enjoy Lost Prophets music. I believe the music that Ian Watkins created with his band mates will retain its artistic merit and aesthetic emotions for those fans like myself who can separate the man from the music, as you say. I don’t think “Ian Watkins is a pedophile” every time I list to a Lost Prophets song; not because I’m in denial, but because the music speaks for itself, despite its tainted legacy. I don’t know Watkins or any of the band members personally, and I don’t need to, to enjoy their music.

I enjoy reading Kerouac but don’t think of his alcoholism and problems with money every time I read one of his stories. When I look at a painting by Vincent Van Gogh, I don’t associate his epilepsy or bi-polar disorder with his artistic genius, or cringe over the fact that Michelangelo had OCD and was a total anti-social personality when I see one of his sculptures or painting or read one of his poems. So I think it is possible to separate the art from the artist.

Do I think what Ian Watkins did to deserve his 29 year jail sentence is unforgivable? No, because everything is forgivable regardless of what it is. Perhaps that statement will draw vitriol from those who can’t see the whole picture, which is that Watkins is locked away for the next 29 years and will surely pay for the devastation that his actions have caused, in ways we can’t possible foresee or imagine, or know how tortured Watkins is by what he’s done or what he thinks of himself. He is still a person, who deserves to be forgiven and allowed the opportunity to rebuild his life, rebuild his relationships, and reinvent himself and most importantly forgive himself for his actions, and seek forgiveness from his victims. No one is a lost cause if they have hope. No one is free from judgment in this life, no matter how small or large their transgressions. Forgiveness is a process. It’s necessary if one wants healing. Hatred is easy. Forgiveness is difficult.

The Dalai Lama XIV once said, ““Compassion is the radicalism of our time.”

Just my two cents.

4. Good article and very well put by LPF. The more interesting thing for me is the Glitter episode and what happened to his “backing” band. He never sang on any of their recordings but they too have been banished from music stores and the airwaves. Grossly unfair as they had not worked with the man for over 10 years when he was detained ! Perhaps someone can enlighten me on the reasons for the Glitterbands blanket ban? There are numerous other people musically associated with Glitter who have not been affected !
    All music has a place in history despite what people think of the artists.

5. I was never a fan of Lostprophets, but am from Newport and was involved in the music scene around the time they were rising to prominence. I never met Ian Watkins but did see him in TJs once or twice, and around a couple of other places in South Wales. I also know a few people who were his friends and were quite close to the band.

The debate around dissociating art from the artist is an interesting one. I have certainly enjoyed Polanski films and, frankly, I am sure many of the most creative and outlandish artists and stars probably have skeletons in their closets, though I think it’s fair to say most would pale in comparison to Watkins’.

I think the difference to Ian Watkins’ case when compared to many others is the utter depravity and monstrous facts surrounding the case. For some reason, even though I have no interest in the band or Ian Watkins himself, I read a lot about this case when he pleaded guilty – including the court report. What Ian Watkins did does delve into the darkest realms of humanity. The actual crimes perpetrated were despicable, but what’s more frightening is how dark a character Ian Watkins was. Frankly I think it goes beyond paedophilia. I think he wanted to go to the very edges of sexual depravity and jump off them, and I think he would have just kept going had he not been stopped.

I think he suffers from a frightening combination of pathological sexual depravity and a complete narcissistic obsession with himself and his stardom. It all added up to a man who simply believes he is untouchable and immortal. A man who loves himself more than anybody else can, and believed he was outside the scope of morality, decency or indeed the law.

I do feel sorry for his band, who have lost their livelihoods and reputation through no fault of their own. But I just think Watkins’ name and reputation is not too toxic. Whilst I don’t like the whole “shades of grey” approach to serious crimes, and would certainly not wish to try and justify any sort of sexual crime, I think Watkins’ crimes are so utterly depraved and his personality so utterly warped, unlike a Woody Allen or a Roman Polanski, he is completely unsuitable to be a member of society in any way, shape or form.

One comment above suggests nobody is beyond forgiveness and that may be true; though I would find it incredibly difficult to ever trust Ian Watkins in society again. I think unfortunately he is obsessed and lost by his own mythos – one of those unfortunate celebrities who is now incapable of seeing where reality ends and fantasy begins.

For me personally, had I ever listened to Lostprophets, I don’t think I could any more. I think it’s just the narrative surrounding Ian Watkins now – that he is not just a paedophile, but a predator, an abuser, a narcissist, unhinged, without boundaries and incapable of any remorse save the remorse he feels for himself. His list of crimes (known and probably waiting to be discovered) is so long, and his defects so deep, I could never hear his voice again without being instantly reminded of what a vile man he is, and how many lives he has directly or indirectly damaged, and how little he is sorry for any of it.

6. I don’t think Ian Watkins is a pedophile because his primary sexual orientation includes adults. The two mothers who consented to sex with Watins were not underage; they were 21 and 24 years old. I think Ian Watkins child molestation behavior is a maladaptive way to meet his emotional needs; out of a need to escape feelings of powerlessness and loneliness, due to low self -esteem.

I too read the court report that’s available online, along with the multitude of yellow journalism available that attempts to exploit, distort and exaggerate the truth to sensationalize the Ian Watkins case and attract a large audience of readers.

I agree with you Corda, that Ian Watkins sexual depravity and narcissistic obsession with his celebrity status is due to his belief that he was outside the scope of morality, decency and indeed the law.

However, I still believe the road to compassion is necessary in response to the Ian Watkins case. Not hatred. It’s necessary in order for us to survive as a species to have empathy and show compassion to those we feel do not deserve it.

Compassion is not weakness. It is the basis of morality. I refuse to participate in the character assassination of a person (Ian Watkins) who has clearly fallen from grace due to a combination of factors outside his own control: fame, drugs, psychological problems, much like the mythological character Icarus, son of Deadalus. Watkins soared to fame and celebrity with his band Lost Prophets, and rather than maintain balance between his personal and professional life (however one can do that successfully, as it is hard to create both good work and be a good person simultaneously without failing under the judgment of others), he flew too close to the edge of moral decency with his depraved actions, and crashed, destroying his career, his relationships, his identity, his self-worth, other his victim’s lives.

Does he deserve to be condemned to hell for that? Underneath the veil of his celebrity status, Watkins is, after all, just another person like you and I. Someone who deserves help rather than contempt.

As Nietzche said, “moral contempt is a far greater indignity and insult than any kind of crime.”

Icarus

Remember when I flew?
    Sill-wet-wings wide against the sky,
    Riding my own thermals,
    Born of the heat of passion
    And the winds of expectation.

Rising on hope and ambition
    Through the pull of limitations,
    I flew to a world of light,
    Carpeted by clouds.
    Pierced by minarets
    Of endless possibilities.

Remember when I flew?
    I was a god then.
    Rising toward certain destiny
    Free of rules and laws.
    Free of somber gravity.

I flew because I could.
    I had become a god-bird;
    A hawk in locked-winged break
    From my past, my self,
    My species.

Remember when I flew
    And I thought that flight
    Would last forever?
    How the sun called down to me
    To reveal the secrets of the light?

Even as my wings would soften
    And I heard my father’s warnings
    Coming softly from behind,
    I knew that soaring called me;
    That my life depended on it;
    That in this risky flight to heaven
    Lay the answers of the light.

Remember when I flew
    And came face to face with God?
    The confusion and the fear,
    The certainty and the joy,
    The friction of all opposites
    Searing, burning in bright light.

Shedding ambitions like feathers
    Dropping from my wings… I fell,
    Pulled by the glow of gravity
    To the sea where fusion waits.
    And I passed beside my father,
    Flying cautious circles in the sky,
    Calling to him imbued
    With the joy of understanding:
    ‘Don’t ever forget me father…
    And remember when I flew! ‘

(December 2004)
    Jose F Rosado

7. LPF – I think you make some good points and I broadly agree. I am not fond of the bitter and hateful vitriol many “normal” people delight in spitting at criminals. As much as I can sometimes empathise with it, I don’t like the mob mentality, which renders the average person boiling with hatred and contempt and unfortunately reveling in the opportunity to fantasise about what they would do to “monsters” who deserve it.

I find it hard to summon much compassion for Ian Watkins, but I do share your sentiment that it’s the mark of a good society and good people to show compassion even in the face of despicable and depraved individuals.

No doubt there are factors that influenced Watkins to become the man he now is. It probably is hard to keep a sense of reality when you are rich, famous, adored by legions of men and women – many of them young and beautiful, many of them practically begging for your approval and willing to go as far as you can push them to get it.

Certainly there is an element of sadness about the whole thing – but however the cards were stacked, Ian Watkins did many things that cannot be ignored or go without severe punishment. I think his sentence is fair and I also rather suspect further crimes will come to light – he was clearly addicted to sex and addicted to sexual depravity and goodness knows what he may have got up to in other countries. I have a feeling he will not come out of prison.

8. Corda – The reason I included the Nietzsche quote in my previous post was to illustrate the moral decay of our society, as it stands, now. There is something phony and hypocritical about people’s outrage and hatred towards Ian Watkins, because society is no better than Watkins himself. To assume otherwise, is to live in complete denial. And that’s something I refuse to do.

Musician Gary Glitter only served 3 years for his for his child pornography and child sex arrest and conviction, Jimmy Savile’s sexual abuse spanned a fifty-year period (!) and he was never even brought to court because all his charges against him were dropped.

It would seem then, that Watkins has become society’s scapegoat for celebrity child molestation, with his 29 year jail sentence and 6 years of probation.

I’m not excusing what Watkins did. But that long jail sentence and probation period seems extreme and un-necessary considering British history’s treatment of two previous child sex offenders in its music industry. (I won’t even delve into the depravity and morally corrupt behavior from the bishops and priests within the Vatican and Catholic Church here.)

Watkins has already experienced a quasi-death due to the nature of his crimes; his life as he knows it is over. Punishing Watkins for half of his life now seems excessive and counter-productive. What he really needs is help and recovery. Why isn’t that option available to him in the aftermath of his conviction?

Why is Watkins’ only choice now to endure public scorn and alienation? He deserves a chance to seek redemption for his actions, in whatever capacity that means. Compassion is not weakness. It is the basis of a moral society.

To lack compassion is to condone moral corruption in society. Is that how far we’ve come as a species? I don’t condone what Watkins has done. I am appalled by it. However, I’m able to separate Watkins’ actions as a sex offender from his role as a lyricist and musician in a successful rock band like Lost Prophets because the music itself is a separate entity.

As a consumer culture, we put entertainers on display. We consume and evaluate them with extreme acceptance or dismissal. We strip them of their humanity so that we can revere them as gods, because as a society we are too weak to hold ourselves accountable for our own actions. So we objectify celebrities and then punish them when their humanity surfaces. Celebrities’ egos are more vulnerable to people’s evaluations, and on a societal level, that can have seriously negative consequences for celebrities in Watkins’ situation.

Celebrities have their own problems: fanatical fans, paparazzi, critics, god diggers, and access to an unlimited supply of drugs, alcohol and the propensity for over-indulgence in those things. Only the strong survive in that kind of chaotic, immoral environment where narcissism reigns while depravity sits in the corner awaiting its next celebrity victim.

Our celebrity-obsessed culture celebrates and idolizes the emptiness of the “celebrity lifestyle,” as though it’s something to strive for. We live in a culture of Narcissism, because success has become a function of youth, wealth, glamor, novelty and fame.

And fame is an empty purse. An illusion. It creates the fall of Icarus for those who believe the lie. Beneath all its excess and trappings, fame is a monster that preys upon the weak, and devours their soul. If you pursue fame without having a strong understanding of yourself, then you will let it define you. And ultimately, you let fame destroy you.

Ian Watkins is as much a victim of fame, as he is a victim of himself and of society. Ian Watkins is a lost prophet in that sense. And that is very sad.

9. 12 Jan ’14 at 3:39 pm

kevin Chatham

You people are absolutely nuts. If somebody drugged and tried to penetrate your 11 month old you would have no compassion at all, but because it’s someone else’s baby you feel that poor Iran is a victim of fame?

10. I wouldn’t be suprised to hear he killed a baby during his antics.

11. Kevin Chatham:

Even Russell Brand agrees with me about my belief about compassion towards addicts and that includes sex offenders like Ian Watkins. Abstinence-based recovery and treatment is the best way for Watkins to get over his drug addiction which I believe is what led him down the depraved path towards molesting those mothers’ two babies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LHuII-jYQ

12. In fairness, whilst I have some empathy with your idea about showing compassion and don’t necessarily believe we should just hate criminals, even awful ones, un-constructively, I think the problem runs deeper and is far more complex than something you can solve by removing addiction or counselling somebody.

Firstly, he does need to be punished for the crimes committed. Whatever compassion we should muster, it would be very hard to trust Ian Watkins in society again for a long time. It would be a mistake to think there is a clear and measurable way to rehabilitate someone like Ian Watkins. His crimes are not addiction, even if they stem from that, they are systematic abuse of the most depraved kind and there just isn’t the evidence to suggest that could be overcome sufficiently to allow him freedom.

The compassion issue is not without its own problems. It sounds great to offer eternal forgiveness; to believe nobody is beyond redemption. However there are practicalities. How do you rehabilitate someone like Ian Watkins? How does he pay for his crimes and be removed from society during that period of rehabilitation? How do you know when somebody is successfully rehabilitated, to the point you can put them back into society?

You would need to put forward a practical, demonstrable, scientifically verifiable way to rehabilitate Watkins whilst also looking after the interests of his victims. That’s a very tough nut to crack.

13. I agree that Watkins needs punishment for his actions. However, punitive response without any compassion (in the form of some type of therapy or treatment offered) is as monstrous as what Watkins did.

Compassion can be in the form of rehabilitation whether its a drug rehab program, a sex offenders support group, or psychological counseling. So it really isn’t a tough nut to crack as you say it is. It’s very straightforward.

The key is to find a balance between protection and compassion. Without the balance, as I said in my previous posts here, society is as morally corrupt as Watkins (and it is already, in many, many ways).

If you deny that about society, then you wear rose colored glasses and choose not to see reality for what it is: our society is morally corrupt already. Read the news. Every day someone is doing something terrible. Just recently reported in the BBC news, a Muslim man was dragged from the bus he was riding b/c of his religion, beaten to a pulp until he was dead, set on fire, then one man cut off the Muslim man’s leg and ate it. And this from a group of men in Africa who label themselves as Christian. Christian!

Back to the Watkins case…

There are programs in England already that exist to help sex offenders recover and help them not to re-offend. There are programs that help drug addicts abstain from drug use, too. There are medications and procedures that when applied (medical castration is one such procedure), can lessen the risk of re-offense in sexual offenders.

Those are practical, demonstrable, scientifically verifiable ways to rehabilitate people like Watkins.

If you are confronted with a problem, like a celebrity sex offender in Watkins, if you choose just punitive punishment then you are no better than him. It’s a way to control your fear about what he’s done. It’s a way for you to justify doing evil against another human being, which makes you just as evil as the target of your violence.

So, I 100% disagree with you that punishment without compassion is the only way to run society. That’s wrong and it’s prejudiced.

How you rehabilitate someone like Watkins is you get him into treatment. Why are you arguing that as being impossible? Are you a sex offender? Drug addict? Alcoholic? Have you ever had a serious problem and not sought help for it? It’s hypocritical for you to judge Watkins as being unworthy of rehabilitation if you yourself have never needed someone’s help for a problem that you caused, or found yourself in.

He pays for his crimes in practical ways: prison sentence, rehabilitation. Experts in sex offender rehabilitations and clinical psychiatrists and clinical psychologists know when men like Watkins are rehabilitated or if they never can be. I find your argument weak that Watkins is a lost cause. It’s very myopic and seriously uninformed. It’s easy for people like you to hide behind your fear of men like Watkins, with hatred and disgust because it protects you from the reality, which is: even people who commit crimes are offered rehabilitation because that’s what a moral, compassionate society does. You may not agree that criminals should be offered the chance to rehabilitate, but those programs exist whether you like it or not.

You want scientifically verifiable evidence? Visit a sex offenders rehabilitation program. Meet with a sex offender expert. Drug addiction program director. There’s plenty of information and evidence that exists already on the topic of rehabilitation for sex offenders and why compassion is part of a pragmatic, holistic approach to healing the entire person. Not every criminal who receives rehabilitation will benefit from it. But that’s not for you or the rest of society to decide about Watkins. It’s up to Watkins to decide if he can be rehabilitated and then if he can demonstrate his desire for rehabilitation to people who hold his future in their hands.

Compassion is possible if you balance it with protection. I have included links to reputable sources that deal with rehabilitation of sex offenders. Feel free to peruse them or not. Maybe they will help you develop a more informed opinion about men like Watkins, or, maybe you will still believe that a society that punishes without the chance of rehabilitation is the best society to live in. Because that’s the opinion your post seems to communicate and it’s an opinion I strongly disagree with. I’m not a Watkins sympathizer either. He needs to be punished for what he did and he is being punished because he’s a registered sex offender now, his career in rock music is over, and he will be a branded man for life which will make his time after his release very difficult for him financially, socially, and mentally. He lied to everyone and committed a sex crime. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve the chance to seek rehabilitation.
    —————————————————————————
    Example 1 from the Ministry of Justice: http://hlsweb.dmu.ac.uk/pgcpd/roh436/official-documents/what_works_-_sex_offender_treatment%5B1%5D.pdf

Example 2 Scholarly journal abstract article from Family Studies (with links to related articles): http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/18/7/744.short

Example 3: Scholarly paper by Expert David Milddleton
    http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pdf/RS_No72/No72_09VE_Middleton1.pdf

Example 4, scholarly book about rehabilitation of Sex Offenders, International Perspectives on the Assessment and Treatment of Sexual Offenders:

Example 5: Offender Behavior Programmes offered in the England
    http://www.justice.gov.uk/offenders/before-after-release/obp

Example 6 a blog from a victim of an American sex offender. “We manage our own fear by labeling offenders as evil, monstrous, in a category reassuringly separate from ther rest of us. We must see these men as human, because monsters cannot recover, would not be capable even if they had the courage to show themselves. If we care about preventing future victims, we must allow these men to come forward, to seek help. It does not mean their crimes are excused. We are all accountable for our actions. Debts must be paid.”
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/jerry-sandusky-convicted-child-sexual-abuse

Example 7: a website that explains how sex addiction (which is the disease Watkins had before his drug use escalated) can lead to sexual abuse. http://www.sexualrecovery.com/articles/sexoffending.php

Example 8: Science behind sex offenders, in a Scientific American Journal article. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=misunderstood-crimes

14. My long term girlfriend new and was involved with Ian since the band started. She considered herself his friend and unbeknownst to me was sleeping with him on a number of occasions (once or twice) over the past 10 years. In 2010 she told me what she had done and that she had informed him that she no longer wanted to have a relationship with him as she wanted to settle down with me.
    Now, I was always aware of this guy and that my GF had had a relationship previous to ours and that she still spoke to him and went to their gigs etc and these stories were trickling down through people who new him since about 2008 that I know of. The thing about it is this, Ian used to tell my girlfriend, whom I guess he considered to be a long term confident, that he was fascinated by evil, he wanted to be evil, to take the concept of being evil as far as he could take it, he wanted to be feared and to take things to the extreme, as far as he could possibly go.
    This was around 2008-09 and I started to get a little annoyed by this guy who I found to be a bit odd…he used to have a go at my girlfriend when she denied him herself or her time claiming she was no friend and no fan and seriously go crazy in terms of calling her every name under the sun because she wouldn’t meet him or whatever, which I found odd. Why would a rock star be bothered about one girl not seeing him when he could probably call up any number of girls he new to alleviate whatever need he had at that time. What u realised however is that for this guy it was more about the fact he lost control of the situation, of her, she told me he used to love sending her rude and outrageous suggestions about what he wanted to do etc while I was in the room…I know that that is just as much an issue with my GF than anything but that is not the subject here so…this I believe was about power over another. When she would deny him he got angry.
    When these rumours came out ( we heard them from other girls he had relationships with) she asked him about his stuff and he laughed it off giving the impression that it was either rumours he had created himself or that they were just rumours created by silly girls. But it was around 2010 when these rumours were getting stronger she told me that she didn’t want to see him anymore and told me about her relationship with him.
    After this certain things happened that I won’t go into regarding myself directly related to the relationship she had with him that fuelled my interest in researching this guy.
    The more she told me about what he was like and the conversations she had had with him the more I thought that there was something not quite right about this guy. Also astound this time we were contacted by several ‘girls’ who had been in relationships with him and had found my GF number or info and contacted her asking about whether she had come into any knowledge about ‘stuff’ on his computer etc and that they new stuff about him and what he had done, at which point my GF contacted the police with this info…
    There is no doubt he would use his charm and rock swagger to get his way on many different occasion but my point here is this…don’t think at any time this man did not have the ability to make choices and decisions about the way he treated other people he had relationships with, he was in no way a victim, he new what he wanted. My GF new him since the beginning, when the LP were playing small venues in pubs and clubs etc and she told me he always had this streak of control and a charming manner that could turn dark when he didn’t get what he wanted.
    This guy, in no way deserves sympathy from anyone, he is a control freak who enjoyed to exert his power over others for his own pleasure in the most extreme ways possible…
    The only thing i will agree with in here is that he ‘wasn’t a peadophile’…no he wasn’t…but he loved the power over another so much that he gained pleasure from manipulating young mothers to offer him their children in a showing of loyalty to him and his abuse of those children an extension of the ultimate power over another being, as an object if his desire of that power. This guy was evil and wanted it that way…he sought out that evil an indulged it within himself. He deserves no sympathy, he chose to be who he is, he is the great manipulator. It’s kinda funny, he is almost a caricature of what the ‘evil’ psychopath us supposed to be…the super intelligent, manipulative psychopath who can bend your will to his own…ridiculous!!! He is where he deserves to be…though I would put him to work somewhere so he is of some use to the rest of us.

15. To be fair I agree why should the whole bands named be tarnished over the shame of one member? I was a huge lostprophets fan and wanted to get lyrics tattoo’d but now I have changed my tone of it Ian Watkins is a sick depraved man and deserve everything he gets yet the other members of the band do not deserve the stigma that they have received if they knew about Watkins a long time before this all came to light im sure that they would have done something about it.