Waste Not, Want Not

What to do with all those Christmas leftovers?…

Photo Credit: Whatley Dude

Photo Credit: Whatley Dude

You probably can’t face the thought of eating anything after the amount of food you’ve consumed during your Christmas Day feast. However, to your dismay, you realise that the fridge is full to the brim with various leftover goods. What to do with it all? Throwing leftovers away is a waste, and turkey sandwiches aren’t exactly the most inspiring option, so why not try one of these quick and simple alternatives?

Mini turkey pies

500g pack of shortcrust pastry
1 egg, beaten
250g shredded turkey (or however much you have left)
8 tbsp double cream or crème fraîche
8 tsp cranberry sauce
Plain flour for dusting

1. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface so that it’s just thinner than a £1 coin.
2. Cut out 8 x 10cm circles using a pastry cutter or a lid, then cut 8 x 9cm circles for the pie lids – you may need to re-roll the trimmings.
3. Push the larger circles into 8 holes of a muffin tin, then divide the turkey, cream and cranberry sauce between them.
4. Season well and brush the edges with a little egg. Place a lid on top of each and pinch the sides together to seal.
5. Chill for 15-20 mins.
6. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
7. Brush the tops with more egg, then bake for 25 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden.
8. Serve straight from the oven or cold.

Christmassy Mince Pie Dessert

A tub of vanilla ice cream
Leftover mince pies

1. Leave the vanilla ice cream to soften at room temperature.
2. When softened, spoon it into a bowl.
3. Break up the mince pies and then mix into the ice cream.
4. Spoon the mixture into a freezer-proof container and put in the freezer to set.
5. Serve with a little cream or brandy

Leftovers pizza

Use your leftover turkey, sprouts, sausages, stuffing – basically whatever you have left to make an alternative Christmas pizza.

Buy a ready made pizza base or a cheap sachet of pizza mix from the supermarket for the base, then simply cover it with a pizza sauce or tomato puree before adding your toppings.

Turkey curry

Simply follow the recipe for your favourite chicken curry, and replace the meat with your leftover turkey. You could even use a jar of curry sauce as a quick cheat.

Here is an easy recipe for turkey and potato curry

1tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, thickly sliced
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 tbsp curry paste (or gluten-free alternative)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes
300g leftover turkey, diced
300g leftover cooked potatoes (either boiled or roasted), diced
Coriander, roughly chopped
Rice or naan bread, to serve

1.Heat the oil in a large pan over a fairly high heat. Cook the onion and pepper for three to four minutes until starting to soften and brown slightly.
2. Stir in the curry paste and garlic, then cook for another one to two minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and 150ml water. Bring to the boil and bubble for five minutes.
4. Turn the heat down, stir in the turkey and potatoes, and cook for another two to three minutes.
5. When cooked, scatter with coriander and serve with rice or naan bread.