Nouse’s Musical Advent Calendar: Christmas Eve

As everyone hangs up their stockings in preparation for the big day, tell us why John Lennon and the Pogues may have written the best Christmas songs of all

Photo: John Wright

Photo: John Wright

John Lennon & Yoko Ono – Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

‘War is Over’ I would say is the exception of all cheerful and joyful Christmas songs. It is probably the only popular song that puts a political message across. ‘Happy Xmas (War is Over)’ was the result of more than two years of peace activism by John Lennon and Yoko Ono which began with the bed-in-make love no peace- in protest against U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. Indeed although initially it was a protest song it is now a Christmas standard. In 1969 John Lennon and Yoko Ono launched a multimedia campaign renting billboard space in 12 major cities around the world for the display of black-and-white posters that stated that ‘WAR IS OVER If you want it- Happy Christmas from John Lennon and Yoko’. ‘Happy Christmas War is Over’ was written by the famous couple with the participation of Harlem Community Choir. The song reached No. 4 in the UK and periodically it has emerged in the UK Charts. Happy Christmas everyone and ‘let’s hope [2014] is a good one without any fear’!

The Pogues feat. Kirsty McColl – Fairytale of New York

With Christmas just one sleep away, arguably the best Christmas song has been saved till the end. The song sung by the Pogues, featuring Kirsty McColl is still a big seller more than twenty five years later. The odd thing regarding The Fairytale of New York is the fact that is an anti- Christmas song, which has ended being the Christmas song. It’s full of heartbreak, anger and pain; not your typical cheery festive feeling. The lyrics are meaningful in comparison to some other Christmas songs, with McColl and The Pogue’s Shaun MacGowan having their hopes crushed on Christmas Eve. With lyrics like; ‘Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it’s our last’, how can this not be a nation’s favourite Christmas song? It’s so atypical that it’s brilliant, and also a perfect song if you’re going through a Christmas breakup in comparison to Mariah’s ‘All I Want For Christmas.’

On behalf on Nouse, we would like to wish a Merry Christmas to all of our readers.