Nouse’s Musical Advent Calendar: Day 2

On day two of Christmas build up circa 2013, we continue the advent build up with a track that captures the real side of Noel

Photo: Mararie

Photo: Mararie

Coldplay – Christmas Lights

Three years ago, almost exactly, Coldplay rather subtly released one of the most underrated Christmas song of our generation. Somehow the sweat-bucket that is Chris Martin and that production god Brian Eno had managed to bypass the Stilton and present us something appetising. A song that, as a fully confirmed Wham/Cliff Richard/Slade xenophobe, you could actually listen to without wanting to choke on a pig in blanket and perhaps even enjoy. Mostly because the lyric “doesn’t really feel like Christmas at all” alongside that slightly but not fully committed major piano, is a fairly accurate representation of this time of year. With all the stress of shopping, running out of money and travelling home I can’t be alone in sometimes forgetting what it’s all for. So cheers Coldplay, for underhandedly depressing us once again because it certainly beats George Michael annually making you gag on his underwhelming merriment.

1. This is a great idea – looking forward to the rest of them.