Futsal defeated by strong Stockport side

The University of York Futsal Club put in a good performance against Stockport, but were beaten 7-4 by the Cheshire side in the Tent on Sunday

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FUTSAL CLUB 4 – 7 STOCKPORT FUTSAL CLUB
FA National Futsal League North Division Two

Images: Petroc Taylor

The University of York Futsal Club put in a battling performance but were beaten 7-4 by Stockport in the Tent on Sunday. A very strong few moments in the second quarter proved to be enough for the North-Western side to leave York with the win.

The Black & Gold started the game brightly, with the talismanic Alex Tringham going close in the opening stages with a stinging effort. However, Stockport also wanted to make a statement of intent early on, and tested Jonny Sim with a number of good efforts on goal.

With both sides looking strong on the ball, it appeared that the match was going to be a close affair, with York just edging the opening ten minutes of play. However, despite some excellent defending, Stockport opened the scoring after their pressure eventually paid off.

Sim, who was in inspired form throughout, was only able to deflect a cross into the path of the Stockport forward, who easily slotted home to give the away side the lead. James Grey had a glorious opportunity to bring the scores level shortly after on the stroke of the end of the first quarter, but the ball ran away from him at the last second.

A disastrous three-minute spell at the start of the second quarter was ultimately what did for York, as Stockport attacked strongly and the striker scored an excellent individual goal from down the left. The Cheshire side then made it 3-0 just seconds later, as Grey lost his man and the opposition player sneaked in behind to score. Moments later, it was 4-0 to Stockport, who were threatening to run riot. York looked shell-shocked, going from being well in the game to four goals down in the space of just a couple of minutes.

However, the Black & Gold responded brilliantly after their damaging spell, and James Briars skilfully scored immediately after Stockport’s fourth to bring the arrears back down to three goals. This seemed to give York a much-needed confidence boost, and they were able to see the second quarter out.

Nevertheless, Stockport seemed intent on scoring more goals in the third quarter and upped their game against York. The Cheshire outfit brought a string of world-class saves out of Jonny Sim, and York looked like they may have an avenue back into the game as Tringham found himself one-on-one with the keeper, but was unable to convert his chance.
Tringham then combined nicely with Pablo Cala, as York began to look strong and positive in possession of the ball. Tringham then had two further stinging shots saved as he tried to find a way past the Stockport keeper.

The sustained pressure eventually paid off and the Tent was lifted as Cala picked up the ball on the edge of the area and rolled the ball into the back of the net to make it 4-2. At this stage, York were on top but still needed to find more goals to get back into the match, and as such left themselves open at the back.

Ultimately, the need to chase the game ended up costing the home side. Despite another string of excellent saves from Jonny Sim, Stockport found a fifth goal as the game became an increasingly heated contest; Tringham was booked for dissent despite only asking for the five-metre rule to be applied from a set-piece.

Although Stockport began to put York under increased pressure and allowed them little time on the ball, the Black & Gold refused to give up and once again found an opportunity to get back into the game. After a very well-crafted move, Briars’ strong shot went in to make it 5-3. However, Stockport hit back immediately with a sixth goal, just before the end of the quarter.

In the final quarter, York went in search of the goals that would get them back into the match; Briars had a chance early on to grab York’s fourth, and despite lobbing a defender, the keeper scrambled to make a goal-line clearance.
York continued to play a positive game despite being behind, and Connor McCoy had a strong header saved before Mark Howorth had a chance from a good cross into the box. A succession of free kicks then offered the home side an opportunity to find a goal, and Tringham eventually got York’s fourth goal when he unleashed a powerful shot from outside the area.

Nevertheless, Stockport rounded the game off with a late seventh goal after Cala lost the ball whilst in possession. York continued to press until the end of the game, but were unable to find the goals needed and Stockport walked away with a 7-4 win.

York squad: Sim, Polverini, McCoy (C), Arneson, Grey, Briars, Hallas, Tringham, Cala, Gill, Howorth.

Man of the Match: Jonny Sim