UYWRUFC storm into the next round of the cup

York’s women’s rugby side fought hard to secure a well-earned 44-5 victory in the Northern Conference Cup match on 22 Acres this afternoon in front of a vocal crowd against Leeds Trinity

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 44 – 5 LEEDS TRINITY UNIVERSITY
BUCS Cup

Images Petroc Taylor

York’s women’s rugby side fought hard to secure a well-earned 44-5 victory in the Northern Conference Cup match on 22 Acres this afternoon in front of a vocal crowd against a Leeds Trinity team that they beat 108-0 just three weeks ago.

The home side started strongly and opened scoring within the first few minutes when an early break from Juliette Carter produced the first try of the game after she avoided two Trinity defenders. This was converted by Giles, pulling York into an early 7-0 lead.

Unfortunately, York were struck by injury just minutes later and Nash was forced to leave the field with a leg injury. Luckily, she was later able to return to the field.

Despite a number of knock-ons by both teams, which led to uncontested scrums due to Trinity fielding only eleven players, York continued to play strongly and Jones soon scored York’s second try of the game giving York a 12-0 lead with twelve minutes played.

However, just five minutes later, a fantastic run up the majority of the pitch by a Trinity player gave the opponents their first and only score of the game, clawing the margin back to 12-5.

Nevertheless, York did not let this faze them and, five minutes before the end of the half, Speller crossed the try-line to bring the score to 17-5. York made one last effort in the first half with Bradley crossing the line in a try that was unfortunately disallowed.

The second half saw York emulate their feat of the first half and score within the first five minutes when Bradley picked the ball up following a tackle and ran straight through the Trinity defence.

This was followed by more points just a few minutes later when Carter ran half the length of the pitch, outrunning the Trinity defence who were unable to catch her, and increasing York’s lead to 27-5. Speller then touched down a try five minutes later to give the home side a 32-5 advantage mid-way through the second half.

York continued to pressure the opposition and support their players with both Carter and Speller completing their hat-tricks. Giles’ conversion of Carter’s final try ensured that York ended the game as the dominant side with a 44-5 win.

Team captain Mollie Staples, who did not play, told Nouse after the match: “I’m really proud of everyone that played today…there was a fantastic improvement from the start of the term…I’m so impressed with everyone that played; the handling was great, the try scoring was epic and it was fantastic. The other team gave us a run for their money this time… being a lot better than they were, but we still beat them and I’m chuffed to bits.”

Team: Jones, Lowe, Vong, Burton, Nash, Giles, Suleman, Bradley, Carter, Moff, Kimbugwe, Speller, Mendoza, Welby, Whitehead, Bannister.

Players of the match: Forward – Carter, Back – Bradley