Phenomenal serving streak propels York to volleyball victory

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3 – 1 LEEDS METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern 2B

Photos: Petroc Taylor

The York women’s volleyball first team claimed a comprehensive 3-1 victory over Leeds Metropolitan this afternoon in the Sport Tent, with the highlight of the match undoubtedly being an incredible nineteen-point serving streak held by York’s Jessica Goodsell.

The first set saw York take an early lead, not allowing their opponents to play and eventually carving out a 9-0 lead. However, Leeds fought back admirably and a series of York unforced errors allowed the away side to get back into the set and level it at 18-18.

A powerful serve from York captain Christina Sechel saw the scores level at 20-20, but York broke away taking a 23-21 lead after a clinical Silvia Albino spike which was greeted with uproar from the home support. However, after some tense and lengthy final rallies, Leeds took a somewhat fortunate first set 26-24.

The second set started out more evenly than the first and after another Albino spike the scores were level at 3-3. However, York started to gain momentum and cut out some of the unforced errors that had plagued their first set to take an early 10-6 lead. York started to pull away and thanks to some excellent blocking at the net by Sechel, took a commanding 19-11 lead.

Albino continued to contribute to the home side’s improved second set performance by providing another forceful smash down the left to put York 21-13 in front. Of course, it was Albino who sealed the second set victory with a final smash that saw the home side comfortably take the second set 25-15.

The third set saw York really press home their advantage, starting out as the better of the two teams with Maja Vodopivec spiking well before blocking a Leeds smash to give York the first two points. The set was dominated by the black and gold, mainly thanks to Goodsell’s nineteen point serving streak, which wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for the constant communication and pressure that the black and gold girls applied to their opponents.

The home chant of ‘Let’s go York, let’s go’ reverberated around the Tent and clearly frustrated the opposition, causing them to commit more unforced errors. York fashioned themselves an astonishing 24-5 lead at the end of Goodsell’s serving streak and the third set finished with York obliterating their opponents off the court, winning 25-6.

The momentum of the match was well and truly in the home side’s favour. The mauling Leeds received in the third set clearly scarred them as they miscommunicated with one another frequently and served poorly in what was to be the fourth and final set. Albino kept up her fine smashing right to the final set and after another routine spike, York opened up a 10-3 lead over Leeds.

Despite their control over the match, the home side did not get complacent and Sechel made sure her team finished in style. After several excellent blocks, Sechel had the final word smashing the ball over the net to end the final set 25-11 to York and seal a thoroughly well-deserved victory for the black and gold.

After the match, Sechel spoke to Nouse saying: “I thought that we did really well, apart from the first set obviously, but I think when we played together it was just amazing and if we keep playing like this I really think we can win BUCS.”

Commenting on Goodsell’s nineteen point serving streak she said, “I thought that was just absolutely amazing, it really gave us the time to get back together and think about our game and it just gave us some time, and some points obviously!”

York: Albino, Gibson-Smith, Goodsell, Haller, Lim, Manso, Meserlian, Sechel (C), Vodopevic, Wong.

1. Really well written article. Though, maybe try to mention more about all the players, what did the rest of the players do while the mentioned were shining?